Turbo cider question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoviceBrew

Reaction score
Hi, I've been experimenting with turbo cider lately and, after some tasty (and frankly potent) results, I may have met my match. While trying to be clever, I bought Tesco 'Never From Concentrate' Apple, Peach and Pear juice Though it now seems obvious, it was a thick, smoothie-like consistency, which I'm sure is not ideal.

Anyway, one week on it has brewed very nicely, smells great and the airlock has been pipping away no bother but there's a thick mass of pulp / gelatin-like cerebral matter sat in the top!

See here :-? http://postimg.org/image/oeu161xh5/

So...
1) Will everything still be ok?
2) Should I try and siphon through it anyway?

Thanks in advance!

You could try to siphon through it, or you could give it a good shake now and then over a couple of days - CO2 generated by the yeast is holding that pulp up and if you can get that gas out it'll sink.
If your siphon has a stick with a cup at the inlet, you can stuff a small amount of muslin or similar in there loosely as a filter, but it's likely to clog if much pulp gets in it.
With a couple of particularly pulpy wines I just poured the lot through a sieve... But they had plenty of fermenting left to, giving the yeast a chance to eat any oxygen introduced

Thanks for the advice chaps. I gave it a good shake and an extra few days. Good job too as it came back to life and there was still plenty of fermenting to be done.

End result is positively mediocre. Sharp taste and not much fizz. I'll stick to 65p Aldi apple juice in future!

Cheers

Back