Under primed (no fizz) lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
Hi all

I've just tried the first of a batch of lager. Unfortunately I think I've under primed it. Without digging out my notebook I couldn't tell you how much sugar I used but suffice to say, there's not a lot of fizz (and I will be reading more sources regarding batch priming before launching into it next time :!: ).

It spent one week after bottling in a warm place (about 23degC) and then a week in a cold place (about 7degC).

There is some carbonation and small bubble trails rise through the pint for whole time while drinking but it lacks that refreshing ping feeling in the mouth you get from a properly fizzy lager.

Short of opening each bottle, pouring it all back into a spigoted FV. re-priming and re-bottling is there anything I can do?

Will re-bottling work or will the yeast have died off by now?

Shall I just chalk it up to experience and only crack open my fizzless brew when I'm already lubricated enough to not be bothered by its lacklustre performance in the glass? :roll:

If it's still flat after that, you can still salvage it but the ease of doing it depends on why it's flat.

If I used the correct amount of sugar and it's still flat, I will rehydrate some S04 and then add a bit to each bottle and recap. That is slight pain but it has saved several beers I thought were going down the sink.

Now, if you did add too little sugar, you need to somehow get more in the bottle. Some people have used carbonation drops right in the bottle with good luck. I have not tried that. You could also add a boiled and cooled sugar solution to each bottle and recap. That requires a little more precision so you don't end up with bottle bombs or only slightly better than where you started.

But I concur; wait for now and see in another 3 weeks where you are at.

Baz

Quite often beers will carbonate in a week, but sometimes it takes longer. I normally give mine somewhere warm for two weeks to ensure it's fully carbonated, before transferring somewhere cooler.

However one batch i had took ages to carbonate, thuogh I don't really know why. Ended up keeping it somewhere warm for about 6 eeks before I was happy with it, carbonation wise. That was peculiar though, normally i give it 2 weeks.

Try moving it somewhere warmer for another week or so and see if there is any improvement.

Is there a sediment on the bottom of the bottles?
If not, the secondary fermentation might not have happened fully.

With lagers you can sometimes have problems getting enough yeast into your bottling bucket. When you bottle a lager make sure you drag the racking cane one time along the bottom of the fermentor.

Two weeks really isn't enough time, give it another 3 weeks and see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I have to say, this may well be the best forum I have ever used for good, knowledgeable and helpful thread posts. There is absolutely no sarcasm, bitching or uninvited commentary (apart from the occasional light hearted kind).

Anyway.... the beer...

There was a bit of sediment suspended in the bottle when I put them out into cold storage. Since then there is a little floc on the bottom of the bottles but not much. I racked this into secondary for about a week before bottling so I would guess the yeast transfer to bottle was minimal. I was hoping to have it drinkable for this weekend (I know that's a bit quick but a few other posts have said Coopers Lager was ready in two weeks) but I might just move it back into the warm cupboard until Christmas and see what we have then.

Thanks again guys.

A.

When you bottle with priming sugar, it produces new sediment.
So even if it's clear after a day, after 2-3 days you should see significant sediment on the bottom if you have put enough sugar in.

Just found a similar problem with a friend's beer.
One bottle (out of about 20) has gone firm, with a layer of sediment on the bottom.
The others are soft, with no sediment.
I suggested opening one and trying it. It was a little sweet, and flat.
I have told him to open them all and put a little more yeast in, I hope it works.

I normally leave my Lagers for 2-3 weeks at room temperature (16-18`C) before storing at lower temperatures.

I would have thought that if you were to take them out from the cold, and leave them for a week or two at the temps they were brewed at before putting them back into the cold, that you'll have properly carbonated and slightly lagered beer for Christmas ?

Back