UP'S BUSY BREWDAY SAT 10TH SEPT 2011

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclepumble

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got up early today to watch the rugby whilst brewing, fancied something special to celebrate the start of the rugby world cup, and also to give me something good to drink when watching the final, I also wanted to try my New Hop Rocket out so to start with I did this:-

BRIDESTONE Hops and Glory
A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

14-B India Pale Ale, American IPA

Min OG: 1.056 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 72
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 15 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 150.00 Wort Size (L): 150.00

Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
67.4 29.00 kg. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
23.3 10.00 kg. Munich Malt Great Britain 1.037 6
4.7 2.00 kg. Crystal 105L Great Britain 1.033 105
4.7 2.00 kg. JAGGERY GOOR Generic 1.046 75
Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
130.43 g. Columbus Whole 15.20 36.0 60 min.
130.43 g. SIMCOE Whole 12.20 7.7 15 min.
130.43 g. Amarillo Whole 10.70 6.8 15 min.
130.00 g. Galaxy Whole 14.90 9.4 15 min.
130.43 g. Amarillo Whole 10.70 4.2 5 min.
130.43 g. Galaxy Whole 14.90 5.9 5 min.
65.22 g. Columbus Whole 16.00 3.2 5 min.
65.22 g. Galaxy Whole 14.90 0.0 0 min.
130.43 g. Amarillo Whole 10.70 0.0 0 min.
65.22 g. SIMCOE Whole 12.20 0.0 0 min.
65.22 g. Columbus Whole 16.00 0.0 0 min.
100.00 g. Amarillo Whole 10.70 0.0 0 min.
30.00 g. Columbus Whole 16.00 0.0 0 min.
Yeast
White Labs WLP001

Mashed at 66 for 90 mins
OG 1064

Photos

The Mash
edfd5ae0.jpg

First Wort Hops
f7fd440a.jpg

Sparging
d689fad3.jpg

Transfering mash to copper
49602851.jpg

The Copper
e81c8e47.jpg

2kg of Jaggery Goor
1ca07f97.jpg

New Toy
eec49c4b.jpg

Loaded with Hops
dc8378b8.jpg

Transfering finished wort to FV
9f6632c6.jpg

Cooling and HopRocketing
347b89c6.jpg

There she Blows filled and Pitched
51d02e0e.jpg

I had quite a bit of liquid left in the mash tun after transfering to the copper so I filled up my 25ltr copper and made brew no 2

Base wort from above but with 30g of columbus 60 mins bittering
then 30g moteuka, 30g rikawa and 20g of nelson sauvin at 15mins and the same at 0 mins for a 20 min steep
e7f5c9d7.jpg

The smell of the Rikawa Hops is astounding really nice piched US05 and OG 1040 I put the firat hop rocket charge in this brew for a 20 min steep to add to the hoppiness

Any how I still had 15ltrs of wort in the tun so I ran this off too, I had 8ltrs left in the big copper after transfer and quite a bit in the transfer pipework and hop rocket, so I thought sod it lets do brew no 3

Bittered with around 50g of ammarillo columbus mix from the hop rocket, charge no 2.

I lobbed the rest in 10mins from the end and steeped with 50g amarillo and 30g columbus for20 mins,
500g cane sugar help the gravity up to 1046og

Brew 3
99ec265b.jpg

Big brew in bed with product coil for temp control
3649d31d.jpg

Filth off Brew 3
e48fff2e.jpg

3 Brews tucked up
04e08d9c.jpg

UP

wendy1971 said:
very nice shane. when did you aquire all the new gear?

I have had it all a while the only new things are the Hop rocket and the Product coil, the product coil is second hand though.

It just doesn't get used in anger much, that will be changing though soon, I'm moving it to a new home soon, where I can use it better as I will have more room.

UP

Nice one Unc. :thumb:
How did the "Hop Rocket" Go? Will they be a vital piece of kit to us brewers?

BB

Bru4u said:
Yeah ,more on this hop rocket thing Unc, lots of detail :pray:

Hop rocket worked well, just filled it with aroma hops 3oz (twice I stopped mid transfer and filled it up again just to make sure) and pumped the hot wort through pre plate heat exchanger.

Really easy to use, there is a canister inside it if you are only doing a small amount it will hold about 1oz of hops.

The smell off the finishe wort is cracking, only a sample once kegged/bottled will reveal if it's any good. I will try to bring a couple of bottles up to the october NCB meet. (I'll pop one in the post to you BB, I owe you a few samples).

I am planning on popping some in a comp if it turns out good too.
I will report my findings once I have had a few slurps.

Up

unclepumble said:
(I'll pop one in the post to you BB, I owe you a few samples).
Up
Thanks' for the offer Unc. :thumb:
But if you do send one Shane I'd put it in a small plastic bottle ...... sending a glass pint one nowadays is very expensive.. :shock:

Where's the October meet Unc, might try get through now the wife is getting over the op. ;)

BB (Little pud)

Wow! That's a serious brewery UP :shock: :drink: :drink:

I was wondering at the top of the thread, reading the recipe, 43kg of grain is a monster amount compared to my standard 5 or 6 kg :shock:

Presumably, unless you're a raving alcoholic, or supply an awful lot of mates, you can't need to brew in those quantities very often :lol:

BigYin said:
Wow! That's a serious brewery UP :shock: :drink: :drink:

I was wondering at the top of the thread, reading the recipe, 43kg of grain is a monster amount compared to my standard 5 or 6 kg :shock:

Presumably, unless you're a raving alcoholic, or supply an awful lot of mates, you can't need to brew in those quantities very often :lol:

I didn't brew it on my own, I'm having 9 gals of the big brew, the other is going to the other brewer, as he bought the ingredients & doesn't have a brewery big enough to do 18gal on, the other 2 23ltr brews are just my bonus.

Where's the October meet Unc, might try get through now the wife is getting over the op.

Saturday October 29th 20011 The Sun Hotel and Bar, 63-65 Church Street, Lancaster, Lancs, LA1 1ET

12pm for a 1pm Meeting,

Steve Wright will be giving short talk-and-tasting event on Saisons, there will be a few Commercial and Home Brewed examples available to sample on the day.

Food is available to buy at the event, we are told the Platters are excellent.

Bottle swapping and sampling of members brews will be available and encouraged.

The bar is also well stocked with local beers from Lancaster Brewery and they also have a well-stocked fridge of Belgian beers,

A small tour of other establishments in the area following the meeting may also be on the cards for the more adventurous.

We have had the scouts out and can confirm this is a wheelchair friendly venue.

All our future meetings are Here

UP

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Which is the nearest train station Unc ?

Lancaster station,

For you its get to man piccadilly then up to lancaster, between 2.5 and 3hrs onth train, will be a good meeting though. I will be going up via piccadilly, so if you need a minder up through lancashire, the ol black pudding hurler can be hired ;)

UP

unclepumble said:
if you need a minder up through lancashire, the ol black pudding hurler can be hired ;)
UP
Might take you up on that Unc..... a lone Yorkshireman in Lancashire........ GULP!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BB (Little pud)

Latest posts

Back