Using wheat spray malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfapat

Reaction score
Presently brewing Mangrove’s Juicy sessions. I have added wheat spray malt with it . The advice given for adding hops is to wait till SG is below 1.020 assuming this Spray malt is a brew enhancer. Would this be an accurate assumption?

Secondly , if after fermentation, and I transfer to a second bucket to mix priming sugar, would I be able to dissolve carbonation drops in a quantity of hot water therefore cutting down on one drop to half of these as I am getting too much fizz on opening bottles. Am I finishing the initial brew properly as the fermentation is incomplete.

Presently brewing Mangrove’s Juicy sessions. I have added wheat spray malt with it . The advice given for adding hops is to wait till SG is below 1.020 assuming this Spray malt is a brew enhancer. Would this be an accurate assumption?
Spray Malt - 1 Can kits typically use additional fermentables in the form of sugar, liquid malt extract or spray malt. MJ Brew Enhancer is basically liquid malt extract so cant see you opting for spray malt is going to make any difference.

Secondly , if after fermentation, and I transfer to a second bucket to mix priming sugar, would I be able to dissolve carbonation drops in a quantity of hot water therefore cutting down on one drop to half of these as I am getting too much fizz on opening bottles. Am I finishing the initial brew properly as the fermentation is incomplete.
Carbonation drops are just sugar to be honest with you if you are going to make a sugar syrup to prime your bottles I would just use ordinary white sugar, as it will be considerably cheaper than carbonation drops.

Thanks, the shop threw in the wheat spray malt as the kit said that extra fermentables were required , so they owed me and it’s thrown me really. I’ve never used that before . Any way 10 days later it still bubbling away and I’m waiting to put hops in

Last edited:
Spray Malt - 1 Can kits typically use additional fermentables in the form of sugar, liquid malt extract or spray malt. MJ Brew Enhancer is basically liquid malt extract so cant see you opting for spray malt is going to make any difference.

Carbonation drops are just sugar to be honest with you if you are going to make a sugar syrup to prime your bottles I would just use ordinary white sugar, as it will be considerably cheaper than carbonation drops.
Thanks , how many grams per litre of beer are required in that case . You say standard suger ? Is it not the case that standard sugar is not broken down that easy by any remaining yeast , or does it not matter at the conditioning stage .

Thanks , how many grams per litre of beer are required in that case . You say standard suger ? Is it not the case that standard sugar is not broken down that easy by any remaining yeast , or does it not matter at the conditioning stage .
Standard white sugar is sucrose and yeast has no problem breaking it down. Personally I use 5g/L for most of my beers, which leaves beer with a reasonable amount of carbonation to my taste, I would say this is about on par with most commercial bottled ales.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
The brewers friend priming calculator is quite handy but it would be worthwhile experimenting with different levels of priming sugar to hopefully find a level that is to your taste as from the sounds of it you prefer a fairly low level of carbonation.

Not really , I do like a bit of carbonation , but not the extent that when I take the top off I lose half the bottle lol!
Thanks for the calculator

So have used standard sugar but British sugar (Beet Sugar) and according to calculator 135. Gms for 22 l . So here goes . Also transferred to another barrel / bucket this time avoiding sediment .

Latest posts

Back