Van Zandt IPA AG 4 20/11/08

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llannige

Landlord.
Reaction score
Been meaning to brew this one for a while now,finally got round to it as I needed to use up some Cascade before it was too late.

4.9 kg Maris Otter
0.2 kg Wheat Malt.
70g Cascade 90 mins
20g Cascade 15 mins
1 Protafloc 15 mins
2 tsp Gypsum
2.75 tsp D.L.S.
1 tbsp 5.2 Stab.
US05 Yeast

90 min mash & boil
1.051 0.G.
25L
67C mash

Previously I used a 2nd hand 8mm immersion chiller which I found was taking 45-50 mins to cool.So I bought 10M of 10mm copper pipe from Wickes(£19.29) and made a much more efficient one myself.
Down to 25C in just under 20 mins.Well pleased!
First time using US05,reading 1.015 already.
Is this the normal performance time wise and how much lower can I expect it to drop?
Cheers for now.

Thats a nice recipe llannige, I love Cascades :cheers:

Only used US-05 once before so can't answer your Q

First time using US05,reading 1.015 already.
Is this the normal performance time wise and how much lower can I expect it to drop?

Yep it's normal :roll:

I couldn't actually get my 05 ale to stop. At 1.010 I skimmed it in the fv, a new yeast head appeared :roll: , I skimmed again and fined it, chilled it, ....still cloudy as hell, so I racked it to corny and fined again at 1.006 :shock:
It took ages to clear but the result was a lovely dry clean tasting beer :cheers:

Your chiller will also be aided by the fact cold water is so bloody cold right now.

US-05 is pretty ruthless. A secondary in a colder place rarely ferments more than a further point however.

Nice recipe - are you tempted to dry hop some further Cascade?

Hi fivetide
Good point about the water being so cold now.
Moved to secondary yesterday and its down to 1.013.
I will def dry hop,am out of Cascade though.Have some Amarillo and was thinking of using an ounce.Any suggestions?
The temp in primary was 18C,do I drop it slightly or leave it as it is?
Cheers.

It seems to be going very well to be honest, so just leave it as it is.

In a few days you could just rack it to a keg and pop a bag of hops in there.

Personally I use a further week of secondary in a new sanitised bucket and take that opportunity to dry hop if I am doing it at all. I also find it helps my brews drop clearer. But a lot of people think that additional stage is just prolonging the agony of waiting for a pint - horses for courses I guess!

Yeh I always intended to give it two weeks total in secondary and dry hop in the bucket during the last week.

Thanks for that.

Yeh I know I'll just see how it goes,I'm not going to rush things.
Luckily i've got plenty to see me through.

Kegged this and turned out to be my best brew so far.(Dry hopped with 30g Amarillo,no Cascade left.)
Did'nt last all that long as Mrs L and I finished it over Xmas.
One for the Def to be brewed again file.

Back