Very Disappointed - advice on what to do

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp

Landlord.
Reaction score
My boss and I bought a polypin each of beer from a local micro.
It was delivered to us on Friday and I set it up at home to be ready for drinking on Sunday.
It is a blonde ale, 3.8%ABV.

Poured a small glass on Saturday - cloudy, smelt & tasted grim......really, really eggy :sick:
Poured a pint yesterday afternoon - the beer has cleared nicely, but there is still a massive egg aroma and taste. My tastebuds are telling me it's horrible.

Now if I'd made this myself, I'd be pretty gutted tbh.....it certainly wouldn't have gone to a client like this. It would have gone down the sink and I'd have just chalked it down to experience.

Can anyone give me a steer as to why and where this foul, eggy aroma is comming from?
Is the beer off?
Is it something that is likely to improve given time?
Is it a charachteristic of blonde ales or a fault?
Something to do with the yeast?

I'm not usually one for moaning, but the brewery has relieved me of almost £30 for this and it was supposed to be a nice treat :shock:

My boss is of the same opinion as me.....his missus used the word foul :(

It could be that a sulphurous character is part of the beer, but with a 3.8% blonde, I doubt it.

Have you ever tasted that particular beer before?

And why not tell the brewery, see what they've got to say?

I'd get back in touch with the local micro and tell them of the problem.

It might be just a bad batch. I use THIS guide for off beer

when my best bitter is very green it has sulpherous characteristics due to the hso4 levels, this dissapears after a couple of weeks of conditioning. what your saying indicates a more deep rooted problem imo

I would be inclined to get back intouch with the brewery it may be a bad batch and there may be more returns it wouldnt be good advertising if custmoers got a dose of the two bob bits would it :sick:

I had a polypin from Ringwood once that was off - they swapped it over for me as soon as I called them - and sent it off to be tested to see what had happened ( although I never followed up to find out).

I'd give them a call and see what they say.. :thumb:

I have spoken to the guys at the brewery, he wasn't too bad tbh.
He said that there have been no problems reported with casks from the same batch, but that isn't to say that something went wrong during the transfer.
He went on to suggest it might be too much finings.......I told him finings don't smell like that ;)

In the end we decided it best to leave it for 2-3 days, have another sample and if it still tastes the same he will exchange them.
Can't say fairer than that I suppose :thumb:

Fermented with ale yeast from what I picked up in the conversation - 'some lager yeast is a bit sulphourous, but we don't use it on that one.
Plenty of lager malt in there though.

Back