videne smells like tcp..rinse ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loady

[Superlative Сasual Dating Real Women]
Reaction score
i now have my videne, i have made a 1 ltr batch using 1.25ml videne as suggested, i have thoroughly cleaned FV and rinsed very well also, then i spray saturated the inside of the FV, i left it and then tipped the pool in bottom back into sprayer for further use....i notcied the smell of tcp, my head is saying rinse it out...but i know its not absoloutley needed to do so...well it effect my beer that i have just racked into it ?

You'll be fine with 1.25ml videne per litre as a no rinse sanitiser. Just to check you are using the antiseptic solution, the one with the red stripe on the label. The solution will only be good for say an hour, just keep making up a 1L solution as you need it, I usually do a couple of these when bottling a 23L brew.

Good Ed said:
You'll be fine with 1.25ml videne per litre as a no rinse sanitiser. Just to check you are using the antiseptic solution, the one with the red stripe on the label. The solution will only be good for say an hour, just keep making up a 1L solution as you need it, I usually do a couple of these when bottling a 23L brew.

Anyone else quote on the bold part above?

as far as I was aware, as long as the solution was still a rusty type colour, it meant it was still sterile?! Made some up when I bottled last weekend, and kept the last bit in the spray bottle for when I want to sterilise the ladle to get the sample out of FV... Was gonna keep the little bit left until I next bottle and make a fresh batch, and keep using it like that...

So, would like some clarification before I carry on like that :wha:

oldstout said:
BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEACH!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

;)

RIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNSE

Seriously...the other poster has a point there, its good untill the colour fades, i doesnt last an hour only, unless he means that the surface you have sterilised is only good for an hour ?

The solution you make up with videne is only effective for a short while. A bottle will cost you £6-7 and will last you ages, I've used about a quarter of a bottle in a year, so I don't understand why you wouldn't want to use fresh solution each time you want to sanitise something.

Depends on the pH of your water to how long it lasts. Mine usually lasts weeks, when it starts clearing is when you should chuck it.

graysalchemy said:
Depends on the pH of your water to how long it lasts. Mine usually lasts weeks, when it starts clearing is when you should chuck it.

+1 to that :thumb: - mine lasts a relatively short time - but still more than a day

colour is indeed an indicator

Good Ed said:
The solution you make up with videne is only effective for a short while. A bottle will cost you £6-7 and will last you ages, I've used about a quarter of a bottle in a year, so I don't understand why you wouldn't want to use fresh solution each time you want to sanitise something.

I do as you ... When I do a new brew/bottle, I mix up a clean spray of videne... However, in between, when I just want to take a sample, I would like to just be able to spray my ladle which I dip in the FV and pour in to the trial jar... So, there's no point in me create a fresh bottle for the little bit I want to do... If it's not sanitisable still, I'd rather just boil it. But, I may as well use the leftovers for the little bit I need...

I know you don't need to rinse, but I do rinse the fv. I do not rinse the bottles :wha: Just a habit I've gotten into.

I keep in sprayer until the colour goes. In the cupboard this can be a few weeks, however that's probably when I'm about to brew again so make up new ;)

Trying the star San just now am I'm struggling to embrace the foam, still have the urge to rinse.

ditto keeping some to hand for small jobs and mixing fresh when bottling etc.

I have found a way of balancing bottles and FV upside down in the sink and leave them like that for 10 to 20 minutes just to make sure that they are properly drained.

Ordered 500 ml bottle from local chemist yesterday, collect this morning :thumb:

bluebell said:
ditto keeping some for hand jobs and mixing fresh .

That'd make your eyes water :? :lol:

Baz Chaz said:
That'd make your eyes water :? :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back