Vital Spark clone help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Brews

Reaction score
Since trying Vital Spark by Fyne Ales last year I've been eager to try and reproduce it. It's combination of smooth roast malt with APA style hops is pretty special.
From the link above I've had a crack at a recipe on Brewer's Friend but I'm after any suggestions on how to improve it. In particular I'm concerned that the dark crystal and roast barley will leave a bitterness that the original doesn't have, perhaps I should try cold steeping?

Oh and I haven't setup the water profile yet. I was originally planning on building up from mineral water but given the current situation I'm probably stuck with London tap water and CRS.

Last edited:
I've visited the brewery, the've got soft water so you may have trouble getting things right with your london tap water.(Unless of course they tinker with it)
The nearest scottish water site is listed as Inverary(I think, it didn't like the brewery postcode) Water Hardness Data 2018

Last edited:
I've visited the brewery, the've got soft water so you may have trouble getting things right with your london tap water.(Unless of course they tinker with it)
The nearest scottish water site is listed as Inverary(I think, it didn't like the brewery postcode) Water Hardness Data 2018
Thanks. I'll have to do my best with what I've got right now! I'm not expecting to get it bang on first time anyway

Thanks. I'll have to do my best with what I've got right now! I'm not expecting to get it bang on first time anyway
No problem, when things ever return to normality and they have pulled through its well worth a visit.

btw, I think your ibu might be too high. Other (non official) sources have it 34-38. At least you know the ingredients though , just not the %

By coincidence (I have never heard of Vital Spark before) I have something similar fermenting at the moment except mine has EKG and Fuggles and much less roast barley. It was just something made up from the ingredients I had in stock

Back