WB-06

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Techno

Reaction score
Hi

I do like german (not spec. germen) hefeweissen. I do normally brew it with 50 % barley and 50 % wheat. Norm I brew my hefeweiss. with wyeast 3068 Whnstphn and i do like their bana and clove thing spec the banana.

I have bouhght from my swedish dilivery man for exammple WB-06 yeast,it should be a ok ok yeast he says.

Any of u at this forim that have fermented a brew with WB-06?

Bo

yes, i used wb 06 on my last batch of hefe, if it's the banana clove thing you're after, then give it a miss. I've used it twice now, the first I fermented at 16-18 deg C, although it was nice, it wasn't banana-ry enough, so with the last one, after reading, that to get more banana, ferement warmer, which I did, at 23deg C, still, not much banana, although it's perfectly drinkable, I won't use it again. HTH :cheers:

I think that it is more suited to a Belgian White beer rather than a proper German Weisse

If you want to get the esters you are looking for in a hefeweizen, you need to use a liquid yeast such as WY3068.

The idea is to make a starter, and to pitch that at high kraeusen. Do not aearate your main batch, as that will give the yeast some stress which encourages the banana and clove esters. Ferment at 17 to 18ºC.

From my experience I do not believe stressing your yeast by underpitching, or fermenting warmer, will give you the esters you are looking for.

What I'm proposing may not be the conventional wisdom, but it works for me.

Have used 06 quite a few times in a Hefe. Less Isoamyl acetate than 3068 or 3638, more clovey. However, no ferulic acid rest, higher mash temp, 50/50 pale/wheat and a little higher gravity (around 1.054) for a higher sweeter finish will bring the Isoamyl Acetate to the fore

Screwy

I brewed this last week with WB06. It smells great, much better than one I did with SO4 (bland, dull, lifeless)

White Summer

23Lt 18EBU
MO: 2140
Wheat Malt: 2140
Oat flakes: 320

Hallertauer herbruker: 2.9% 90 mins 40g
"" "" " 20 30

20g whole coriander seeds at 10 mins, WB06 fermented at 12C. It took a week to ferment down to 1010, bottled it friday night, smells incredible and i put that down to the yeast. It tastes wonderful, lets hope the sun comes out to help it go down.
WB06 then....I thoroughly recommend it because I'm so pleased with the results in this case.

Hi Micmacmoc,

Looks like an interesting recipe. Ive been trying to concoct a light drinkable wheat/lager type for a while but this looks spot on :)

Im gonna have a go at this in the next day or two. Do you have the OG and FG readings for this? Also, did you do a protein rest for the oats prior to mashing or can you get away with just chucking the oats into the mash?

How did the coriander seed addition go? Ive heard that coriander seeds can be a bit strong and easily unbalance the beer. Would you use the same amount next time or change the amounts at all?

The starting gravity was 1050 (give or take a degree!)
finishing was 1010.
I did'nt roast or crush the coriander....I was supposed to put in orange peel and a chamomile tea bag but my neighbour came round, we played chess and I forgot about the other bits so just let it be! It smells of coriander, I will have a bottle tonight and report back on the taste. I was a bit shlashed by the time I was ready to pitch the yeast, hence the vagueness on the SG! chess and beer. still won though!

Also check out 'leedsbrew's' double brew post, the wheat beer there looks interesting, the cascade hops in it should be a different twist on the style. Wish I'd thought of that!

I have a wheat beer in the fermenters at the mo that I brewed yesterday that used WB-06 - it's the first time I've used this yeast so will be interesting to see how it turns out. I'm fermenting at 18-20*c, here's the recipe:

Batch size: 10 gallons
4kg Maris Otter
4kg Wheat malt

85g Saaz 3.5%AA hops @ 60

Safale WB-06 @ 18-20*c

Primary for a week, keg for a week, then DRINK!

onelegout said:
I have a wheat beer in the fermenters at the mo that I brewed yesterday that used WB-06 - it's the first time I've used this yeast so will be interesting to see how it turns out. I'm fermenting at 18-20*c, here's the recipe:

Batch size: 10 gallons
4kg Maris Otter
4kg Wheat malt

85g Saaz 3.5%AA hops @ 60

Safale WB-06 @ 18-20*c

Primary for a week, keg for a week, then DRINK!
Ok primary's done, kegged today, and it tastes great! The banana/clove is still there, a nice balance, just a little towards the banana side. I'm looking forward to trying it once it's cold and carbonated : )

Back