Welding brewing equipment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm planning on making my own stainless steel fermentor. I don't need all the bells and whistles that a lot of the shiny stuff manufacturers offer. I just want a pot that will last and can be easily and thoroughly cleaned. I'm planning on doing this by converting a 30-33L stock pot. I'd like to do all this for less than �£75.

A stock pot should cost �£40-�£50 but I do want to try to get to get a seal on the lid so that I can use an airlock/blow-off tube. I'm going to cut some silicon sheeting to the rim size to create a gasket which should help but I'd like to add lid clamps to hold it in place and get a better seal. I've found these things which should work but they will need to be attached.

I'm sure people have mentioned getting welding done on the cheap before but where are the best places to ask? It doesn't need to be pretty, as long as it will stay in place.

Any suggestions?

I'm planning on making my own stainless steel fermentor. I don't need all the bells and whistles that a lot of the shiny stuff manufacturers offer. I just want a pot that will last and can be easily and thoroughly cleaned. I'm planning on doing this by converting a 30-33L stock pot. I'd like to do all this for less than ��£75.

A stock pot should cost ��£40-��£50 but I do want to try to get to get a seal on the lid so that I can use an airlock/blow-off tube. I'm going to cut some silicon sheeting to the rim size to create a gasket which should help but I'd like to add lid clamps to hold it in place and get a better seal. I've found these things which should work but they will need to be attached.

I'm sure people have mentioned getting welding done on the cheap before but where are the best places to ask? It doesn't need to be pretty, as long as it will stay in place.

Any suggestions?

Stainless can be a pain to weld, but any local quality blacksmith should be able to do it not sure though if the pot wall with be thick enough to hold a decent weld?

STD stole my thunder. I would definitely look for a blacksmith, unless you know someone in the car repair business - all the best

If you want to keep it cheap you should only need to weigh the lid down to stop it coming off.
The seal doesn't have to be gas tight as there is always a constant pressure pushing the gas out.
The coopers fermenters lid only sits on top and I've never had issues with lids coming off or infected brews

For keeping the lid on try looking for a ring clamp (might not be the correct term) it's a hinged clamp that fits completely around the rim and lid and tightens together with a butterfly nut on a screw thread. We use these in work to seal pressurised filter housings and fitted correctly are air tight.

Cheers

Clint

Might be called a clamp band...

I'm planning on making my own stainless steel fermentor. I don't need all the bells and whistles that a lot of the shiny stuff manufacturers offer. I just want a pot that will last and can be easily and thoroughly cleaned. I'm planning on doing this by converting a 30-33L stock pot. I'd like to do all this for less than �£75.

A stock pot should cost �£40-�£50 but I do want to try to get to get a seal on the lid so that I can use an airlock/blow-off tube. I'm going to cut some silicon sheeting to the rim size to create a gasket which should help but I'd like to add lid clamps to hold it in place and get a better seal. I've found these things which should work but they will need to be attached.

Any suggestions?

Have a look around your local industrial estate and find a fabrication shop, pop in and ask them if they will do you a ' favour' im sure if you have a few bottles of hb with you that will sway them. I work in a fabrication shop and if they're like us they will help you out!

If you want to keep it cheap you should only need to weigh the lid down to stop it coming off.
The seal doesn't have to be gas tight as there is always a constant pressure pushing the gas out.
The coopers fermenters lid only sits on top and I've never had issues with lids coming off or infected brews

I'd like to get a good seal if possible. I tend to use big top cropping yeasts and I find I need a blow off tube even when I leave plenty of head space. If I just leave the lid on I think the krausen will get out and cause a mess in my brew fridge.

Have a look around your local industrial estate and find a fabrication shop, pop in and ask them if they will do you a ' favour' im sure if you have a few bottles of hb with you that will sway them. I work in a fabrication shop and if they're like us they will help you out!

I think this is a good idea. London is pretty short on blacksmiths and those that are there making bespoke light fittings for the people of Chelsea.

I think this is a good idea. London is pretty short on blacksmiths and those that are there making bespoke light fittings for the people of Chelsea.

I know exactly what you mean mate! I live in the north east of England and all of the work we get iz down south! Fabricating stuff and having to drive all the way down there an do instillations! Do you know any bikers? They're all good lads and will defo know of any ss welders?

I've got a friend who is doing a restoration job on a bike at the moment. He might be worth a try.

Problem is, he's more of a carling drinker.

I've got a friend who is doing a restoration job on a bike at the moment. He might be worth a try.

Problem is, he's more of a carling drinker.

Oh dear! I know one of them! As long as he knows a welder he can be forgiven! Then you need to educate him into the finer art of beer drinking, then brewing!

I think you will find that some of the better brand metal epoxies will do the trick, the big thing with them is prep, the surface needs to be rough enough to get mechanical purchase and totally clean.

Latest posts

Back