What can you buy that's made in Britain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a tangent, we In the states have the same issue. There, are lots of things that just aren't made here anymore.

I don't know what percentage but I think most paper, carboard and glass things are made here, also many large one piece injection moulded products that don't need (labour intensive) further assembly.

About 5-7 years ago (following nos are off the top of my head and very approximate) I was talking to one of the big mobile canning companies who bought about half a million a year of those black plastic things that hold 4 cans of beer together by the rim, I think exactly these
CANCLIP-4-3-1.jpg

from the US costing about 18p each. I spoke to a UK based injection moulding company about it and they could produce them for around 9p each but there was an upfront tooling cost which was around £30,000 for a Chinese made tool that would last 5-10 million products or about double for a UK made one which would last indefinitely. Also they would need to order 3 years worth at a time to get that price and pay for the product to be designed to not infringe on any patents so they decided against it. Also if they wanted an insane quantity (ie a 40ft container) then made in China they would be more like 1-2p each but with a small gamble they turn up to the correct specification (the UK company could do a small test run and rework even a Chinese made tool if needed).

UK - home of the best vacuum cleaner in the world. And I don't mean those f***ing Dyson monstrosities. twice the price and twice the weight. Cleaners (people) hate them.

I mean Henrys of course. They've even got a face on them! Still waiting for the Henry movie to come out.

Unfortunately not many things are made here or made without raw materials/parts coming from abroad. At least most of the beers we can make with British grains/hops. We will still be able to get staff from abroad, there is just a possibility it might be bit more expensive.

Electricity. It is produced mainly in the UK with some occasional import when needed.
I don't think the electricity is British it's just electricity. You can't tell if yours comes from UK or abroad unless all our interconnectors are open.

Several years ago we were looking for a 3 piece suite. Went around all the usual shops and found a style we liked. Luckily we had a good sales man who informed us that instead of paying £4+ we were better off going to direct to the company. We did this, all custom build, from fabric to fillings etc. All made up North, Huddlesfield I remember. Saved half the price also. Still going strong to this day.

Given what's happening on the 31st, I tried to start buying British.
I bought a an Oxford Parka £180! ......made in Bangladesh
A Cello TV £130 (assembled in uk!) parts from China
A Jumper £190

Gave up on a Jeans (Bought a pare designed AND made in Italy)
Boots designed and made in Italy

What can you actually buy that's made here? (food and drink exempt)

If you after a quality pair of jeans made in the UK try these from a town in West Wales.

https://hiutdenim.co.uk/collections..._Vo0GD5vHarFXu4Exskqk3JqCGzB3xlxoCxh8QAvD_BwE

There seem to be various places advising on such things. Try for example:

https://makeitbritish.co.uk/made-in-britain/

Not decrying the effort put into that site - or the thinking behind buying British at all.

But we need to be clear that we're only talking about *manufacturing* in Britain. Quite a different thing from British *ownership* of those businesses, and quite another thing from whether the companies involved pay British corporation tax etc.

Not being an ar$e here. Yes, by all means support British manufacturing. But If the profits achieved from that manufacturing are abstracted abroad through overseas ownership (or tax haven voodoo), then it's still removing money from the UK economy ultimately.

Latest posts

Back