Which yeast for my saaz brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favershambrewer

Reaction score
Evening all and happy new year.

My first brew of the year is the Greg Hughes saaz. Except I don't have the wyeast 1056 he recommends.

I have s04, s05, nottingham and some gervin gv12.

The brew will be light coloured and I'm aiming for an abv around 4.5. What would you go for?

Simon

I think s05 is the same yeast as wyeast 1056 but dry rather than liquid so should be a direct subsitute

This Saaz single hop has been discussed on here before and as far as I remember it, the general consciences was that, it doesn't really work particularly well. Certainly didn't work well for me.

I'm not sure Saaz is good for this type of brew.

Thanks guys. The book lists s33 as an equivalent.

I tried a saaz brew recently, a Saltaire Blonde recipie that was awful at first but got better. I felt it had promise. I'm sort of committed now having the hops and the grain mashing away. In any case if it's rubbish it'll only be 10l of rubbish...

Thanks Rodabod (and Mike). That's what I went with in the end. Brew day went well and my latest concoction is fizzing away in the basement.

S33 is very different from 1056. So it's strange the book should give it as an alternative to 2056, especially when US05 is the same yeast strain as 1056.

Back