White spots....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffmartyn

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm brewing a Munton's Gold Continental Pilsner and it's on day 10 of primary fermentation. It all smells fine and tastes great too. Gravity has been a constant 1.007 over the last few days. Forgot to take SG though so can't work out the ABV.

I'm trying to leave it where it is until it's around day 14 as I hear this is good to do if you can.

My only problem is that I've noticed some white 'bits' appearing in the bubbles on the top. (See attached photo).

Has anyone seen these before and is that a bad sign? i.e. should I bottle this one as soon as possible?

Many thanks for your advice!

Cheers

Geoff

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have done now two beers since I re-started, from kits. Up to bottling time I had bits floating on the surface whiteish to brown. I always taste when taking the FG reading and they are fine. One has been the Muntons Old Conkerwood Ale. The picture shows quite a healthy brew (in my opinion) - probably no need to worry ... let's be optimistic !!!

Thank you for the replies and the reassurance folks!

I'll wait this one out and bottle it when it reaches 14 days.

I'm going to get a second fermenting kit and stagger the kits I make as it's too much to watch just one for 14 days!

Cheers

Geoff

way i do it is, put in fermenter for a week or 2 and dont worry or look. Go back in a couple of weeks and be surpised at it :)

geoffmartyn said:
I'm going to get a second fermenting kit and stagger the kits I make as it's too much to watch just one for 14 days!

Lol i was like that with my first kit :rofl:
Now i do as cyclops said and don't worry, i don't even look at it till it's been in the fv for a week, then i drop my hydrometer in and take in from there :cheers:

I should do that, but I have my fermenter next to my desk as it's the most consistent place temperature-wise (I work from home) so probably look at it far too much! I must say though, I do love the first few days when the yeast really starts to become active and there's a huge head on it!

I shall hold out and bottle this one on Friday. I think it's going to be good!

Cheers

Geoff

I would think it is about time to get it bottled. If it has cleared drop it into a clean sanitised fv leave it a afew days then bottle. If you leave it to long at this time of year you run the risk of infection especially from fruit flies, but you would be able to smell and taste that very quickly :sick: :sick: .

Latest posts

Back