Wilko wine kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mabby

Reaction score
Hi hope this is in right place first time making wine i done as asked on the wilko wine kit box its bubbling through airlock evey min or more but looks like this at the mo
549B0640-3EDD-43F2-B88A-E0F3B0FEEFAF_zpsbvtx5gnz.jpg
[/url][/img]
its temp is 19c and its been like this for 7hrs is it ok? Thanks dan

Absolutely fine mate.

Over the next few hours the yeast will start to react with the sugar and CO2 will be produced, making your bubbler 'bubble' like mad.

One tip of advice - in the instructions it states to top up after 3 days. You can do this if you like but BEWARE, the kit will bubble up through the bubbler and make a huge mess.

They have vastly overstated the initial ferment and I would hazard that the kit should be topped up HALF of the recommended volume 7 - 10 days AFTER the initial ferment, then the remaining volume a few days after that depending on the activity in the Demijohn.

I have done a number of Wilko kits and despite knowing how really over-presumptious the instructions are, I always get a messy brew. Albeit, less messy the more I leave it and the more i get used to them.

regards

WW

Thank you very much i will keep my eye on it and not top it up for a bit then thanks again. Any more tips with this kit would be happy to hear.

I have done a number of Wilkos' kits and one thing that is always apparent is that the instructions are ***** !!

Take whatever they state in the instructions and add a few days (..like 5 days !!!)

Do you use a hydrometer???

Keep your wine fermenting as it is for about a week. Once a week is done, check it with a hydrometer. If its 1.100 +... wait another week or so.
If its 1.100 - wait only a few days.

Wait until it gets below 1.000 THEN add water.. Half of recommended amount first. Wait for a re-interaction of the yeast. Maybe another day or so. Once that's calmed down, add the remaining water up until 4.5 litres. It won't effect the final taste - what it will effect is whether your walls get splattered with wine gunk.

They market the kit as being drinkable in 7 days which IS possible. It'll just taste like paint stripper.

Lol i aint got a hydrometer but i shall get one on tues day when i go past wilkos thanks again

Back