Wilko's Own Brand Cerveza starting OG 1046

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Personal91

Landlord.
Reaction score
evening all

after just finishing barreling about 5 gallons of fiery ginger beer this afternoon i got to starting up Wilko's Own Brand Cerveza which was on sale for 8 squid at wilko - it was recommended and at a bargin price why not :D

i started the clean up of the remnants of the ginger/lemons/limes etc and rinsed out the rest of the gunk and then left it to fill up with the outside tap - im going to try this brew with steralising the fermenter just scrubbing/cleaning it with water and by hand as it had liquid in it just earlier and any possible nastyness that was invisible or inside of a scratch to the plastic will be killed by the hot wort and boiling water at the start

i put the 1.5kg can in a saucer with some warm water then put it on heat and after it boiled left it at simmer

i then pitched and stired in the yeast into a luke warm ( i couldnt tell the heat or cold when i put my hand into it) and then stirred it the jug and covered with clingfilm.

after using more brewing sugar then intended the day before i had to run to the store to buy regular sugar which was 2kgs for 1 squid so was well chuffed

i poured in the hot wort and gave it a good stirring to air-ate it and thenmaybe made a mistake, i added the whole of the 2kgs of sugar, it managed to stir in well with more hot water but will this kill off the yeast too soon ?

vigirous stirring at stages

after filling up with cold water to about 23 odd liters and checking temp was about luke warm i then added the yeast solution that had gone milky and had a distintive smell.

i then added 3-4 generous tsp's of yeast nutrient to the mix

as i put the yeast nutirent away i lay eyes upon my hydrometer and then quickly took an OG reading og 1046

have i fluffed it or am i going to be okay ?

1046 OG ain't too bad considering that wilko kit cans are only 1.5 kg as opposed to coopers that are 1.7 kg so if it goes down to 1012 you will have a beer of 4.46 ABV a quaffable medium to high strength ale

That sounds ok to me. I did this kit last month with 1kg brewing sugar and 500g of light dme. OG was 1.048 and went all the way down to 1.006 so ABV ended up around 5.5%. Added a hop tea using Citra and bottled on 2nd of this month. Tried a bottle last week and although still a bit early it was quite promising. Shame the wilko sale has finished now!

I'm a few days away from my secondary fermentation being completed (after two weeks) - I thought I'd gone too hot and had ruined it as I didn't have much of a krausen or much activity in my airlock, but thankfully experienced heads on here had gone through this time and time again so I just left it and waited to see what would happen. I went from an OG of 1.038 and an FG of about 1.012, so not very strong but hopefully topped up a bit by the secondary fermentation. Anyway, I tried a bottle of it after a week, and it's lovely, so who cares if it's a bit weak!

1046 OG ain't too bad considering that wilko kit cans are only 1.5 kg as opposed to coopers that are 1.7 kg so if it goes down to 1012 you will have a beer of 4.46 ABV a quaffable medium to high strength ale

I have drained 22 litres off into a secondary fermenter

about 8 hours previously I added abit of sugar into the primary fermenter so as to get it producing a bit of CO2 so as when I was transferring my beer from the primary to the secondary fermenter I was at less risk of it oxidising.

unfortunately I took the gravity reading when I was racking so it possibly could have been lower! but I doubt the meagre amount of sugar I added would have made that much difference

started on the 27th of July
and racked on the 12 of august

16 days and 2kgs of sugar later and I have a final reading of .998 SG

I managed to get 22 litres out of the primary fermenter and left a little above the yeast slime, I will slant that barrel later today and then try and get a little more out. I also fed the little that was left with sugar to just see how volatile the release of CO2 was going to be, impressive to say the leastOriginal Gravity (OG): Final Gravity (FG): Equation: Standard
Alternate
(see below for more information)

Alcohol By Volume:6.30%

Latest posts

Back