Windows 7 - tech inside warning updated 12/04/09

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damfoose

Reaction score
I have been playing with doz 7 in Vm ware for a while and have just decided to install the public beta on a partition that was free installed version Build 7000 x64 bit Ultimate edition.
First off it took about an hour to install from scratch but it at least found just about all my hardware except for the soundcard which is getting a little old being a creative audidgy zx , It also does not want to see the Xp 32 bit operating system partition which is no great loss tbh.

After that installing the printers that are shared on my server was a breeze unlike vista which causes the server spooler to bomb out when the printers are installed, doz 7 just installed and printed with no problems what so ever.

IE 8 is a bit of a pain I have had to put it into compatability mode to be able to do a post here I have found the same for a number of other sites, normal browsing seems to work well enough.

As for gaming seems to be good well EvE online playe well enough.

Update
Started trying to stress the system a little started by opening 10 Internet explorer windows, movie player and copying alot of files around which did not cause any problems. So I decided to start EvE online up 2 instances and it still stayed stable. The only issue I have came up with is Antivirus but this is a known issue which MS has already got a fix for which sorted the AV problem out.

Looking more at the user interface.

Standard start button which when clicked on gives the same user links that you get with Vista only this time round you dont have any option to set a classic view for the start bar.

The quick launch that were all so fond of has been removed and on first install / log on their are 3 icons in the area where the normal quick launch would be one is for IE the other for folders and the last media player when you click on them you are shown the open apps depending on the type of icon clicked on for example click on the folders icon and all open folders are shown in a line above the icon.
As and when you open applications they are represented by an icon to the right of the initial 3 which then work in the same way.
You can pin apps to the task bar so you can start them straight from their which is very similar to the quick launch.

Minus points you can forget if you actually have opened an app which is pinned to the task bar ubtil you hover / click on it which is a pain.

IE 8 is OK but buggy scrolling quickly through things makes it stutter or fail to display correctly.

New feature found which works better than vista when the PC is locked and left alone for an hour or so it goes into a sleep type of mode where it pretty much powers everything down including the fans and when the mouse is moved 5 seconds or so later its back up at the password screen makes for good energy saving.

I will update this as I try more features and come up with bugs.

Latest posts

Back