wine stopped

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fran

Reaction score
i think my strawberry ribena white grape and peach has stopped. i used gervin no3, it has been at 1008 for a couple of days now,
is this too high and should i start it again, if so should i make a starter or just put some youngs yeast compund in (thats all i have)

also another of my wines has a bit of a bad smell in the co2 but i gant degass it enough would i be ok using a wire cotehanger attatched to my drill

thanks for any replies

Wine shouldn't stop at that sort of gravity, but I've never used GV3 and don't know how that one behaves. Check the temperature is acceptable and give it another week.

What's the bad smell in the other? If it's just some rotten egg sulphur, ignore it and it will go away.

Only problem I can foresee with the coathanger idea is lack of rigidity + rpm = sudden, unexpected bending + smashed DJ or ripped PET.

thanks moley temp is good ill give it another week and not bother with the coat hanger trick coz it is the sulpher smell
thanks again

I have got 2 galls of wow which has stuclk at 1030 for weeks. I have. Reseeded twice with different yeast, it is at constant 20c. It is slowly dropping perhaps 5 Points in a week. I also have some other wow started afew weeks later, which is in the same fermentation cupboard same yeast same batch of juices which is dropping 10 points a day.

Confussed

just took another gravity reading and it is coming down very slowly its now at 1002
and i tested my wurzels at the same time and that explosive concocksion went from 1080 to 1004 in 4 days :thumb:

fran said:
just took another gravity reading and it is coming down very slowly its now at 1002
Slowly is good :thumb:

I've never used GV3 but I've just racked a WOW using GV5, and that must have taken two weeks to get down from 1.010 to 0.992 with temperature averaging around 17°C.

fran said:
i tested my wurzels at the same time and that explosive concoction went from 1080 to 1004 in 4 days :thumb:
Now in my opinion that's far too fast.

will that create any off tastes or anything

i only got lava lamp for 24 hrs i used youngs super yeast compound and nutrient. i know the super yeash already has nutrient so could that be the cause

Are you using any sort of heat tray or brew belt? I'm guessing it might be a bit on the warm side.

The extra nutrient won't do any harm whatsoever, but when you think it has finished, give it another week.

just checked the temp in the airing cuboard and its 27 degrees so ill move it to the floor where its only 22

thanks yet again mr mole

Latest posts

Back