Apple Wine using supermarket juice - what ratio to bottled water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burton

Reaction score
Dilution ratios – apple juice to bottled water

In his somewhat antiquated book* CJJ Berry describes at some length, his processes for apple wine, made with buckets of ‘free apples’ - windfalls and the like, from the (then) numerous orchards in Hertfordshire. Basically, he pressed the apples – cores and all – with a homemade barrel press, extracting the juice, which he then diluted at the rate of 2 of water to 1 of juice. He then goes on the familiar route – 1 kilo sugar to each UK gallon, plus 150ml grape concentrate, tspn citric acid and the usual nutrients.

As my own apple harvest from last autumn was comprehensively demolished by my local family of squirrels despite the bird-netting, I am drawn to the possibility of using 4 litre packs of supermarket “100% Pure Apple Juice from concentrate” and diluting it a la CJJB, to get a liquid result, pre sugar, of 12 litres. Has anyone tried this, and does the 2:1 ratio produce a full-bodied apple-y tasting white wine? I’m wondering if it might be somewhat ‘watery’ – any knowledge out there would be welcomed.

“First Steps in Winemaking” - 1960

If I was to try this, I would get your 4*1l apple juice pack.
Use 3l to make your wine (no water to dilute) so your demijohn starts at 3/4 full.
After a couple of weeks when I itial fermentation has died down a bit, then top it up with the last 1l of apple juice.
That way it gives a bit of space in the demijohn for it to froth up without spurting out of the airlock.

yes what jof said. dont dilute.
you do know of edworts apfelwein right?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/edworts-apfelwein.33986/
if you havent tried that you might want to . edworts starts out very dry with little to know apple flavor. it really peaks at 6 months to 9 months in the bottle and the apple really starts to come through then.

IMO you shouldnt dilute your supermarket juicewine too much with water. juice wines are thin enough to begin with and some people even add glycerol to give them more body.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/supermarket-juice-wine-how-to-guide-and-recipes.49462/
im pretty sure there's an apple /white grape in chippys thread somewhere.

it can be hard to get good base flavor from supermarket juice. the yeast can eat right through any flavor and leave you with very dry wine flavor beverage.
so for example 2 liters of apple with a liter of white grape and 600-900 gms of table sugar in a gallon DJ will make a great white table wine. its very fruity but not necessarily apply. back sweetening helps.

A hydrometer or a refractometer, well tell you what's going on.
It really depends on what you have bought.

But I will agree the guys above, I doubt it will need dilution. More likely flavour and sugar.

Elderflower and apple make a stunning white wine at about 10%. Lightest oak. No malo and keep the acidity crisp.

Thanks guys, that's a lot to mull over - specifically re sugar addition, I'm guessing the apple juice will add its own content - also the grape concentrate - what should I aim for on the hydrometer SG-wise, before adding the EC1118 and usual stuff? I prefer a Chardonnay-type strength.
it can be hard to get good base flavor from supermarket juice. the yeast can eat right through any flavor and leave you with very dry wine flavor beverage.
so for example 2 liters of apple with a liter of white grape and 600-900 gms of table sugar in a gallon DJ will make a great white table wine. its very fruity but not necessarily apply. back sweetening helps.

1100g of sugar total in a DJ (4.5 litre) will give you 13% (ish)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that's a lot to mull over - specifically re sugar addition, I'm guessing the apple juice will add its own content - also the grape concentrate - what should I aim for on the hydrometer SG-wise, before adding the EC1118 and usual stuff? I prefer a Chardonnay-type strength.

It's a lot to mull over because you are getting lots of different answers 😁😁

Lets do this properly. What do you want to make.....
Apple Wine, cider, calvados ?
In what style? (sweet, dry, balanced, smooth, sharp)
How strong? (looney juice. Balanced or low)

Answering those will get you sorted 😁

Why EC1118 ?- can't afford another stuck fermentation, and this yeast has rescued a 22.5 L batch of grape concentrate, stalled at 1014! I had to do it EC Kraus-style, adding a litre by litre to a lively starter mix.
Aim for Apple wine is uber-dry, 14% - crystal clear but with some colour, to that end I've got a small bottle of Elderberry juice,, I'm throwing in the mix.

Elderberry is a bit different from elderflower. But to keep the any particular flavours, add it later in the fermentation.

Uber dry needs a good fermentation and crisp acidity. Consider citric acid lemon juice. Can I ask why 14%?

Hmm, yes, I did wonder about the elderberry juice, but having opened the 250ml bottle and only used a few drops last month, I don't want to keep it in fridge much longer: adding it later in the fermentation is going to add a little sugar content, but surely not enough to upset the basic calculations, I hope (the bottle's not big enough to get the hydrometer in!)
Why 14% ? Two reasons - I tend towards an American taste whereas my drinking partner insists on chinking (diluting) ice cubes in her glass, so a compromise is reached; secondly, and I'm not proud of this, but when visitors are pressed to try my latest 'brew', even if they think 'home made' is a bit 'common', they can always exclaim in delight to find there's a bit of a kick to be had! A bit like chopping a single hot chilli pepper into an otherwise standard salad bowl.

Good point - I'll have a rootle round the numerous wow recipes for suggested uses for the remaining elderberry juice.

Back