WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone used this? What were the results?

I'll be pitching it in about an hour. Looking for a fairly quick turn around on the beer so I picked this. I'm expecting (hoping for) a fast ferment, quick to clear and should be pretty neutral flavour.

Dumping it in this:

4.5 k pilsner
250g Caramalt
750g Munich

First Wort:10g Wakatu (6.6%AA)

22g Magnum (14.2%AA) 60 mins
15g Wakatu (6.6%AA) 15 mins
15g Wakatu (6.6%AA) 10 mins
15g Wakatu (6.6%AA) 5 mins
15g Wakatu (6.6%AA) 0 mins

Woke up this morning at about 8am and nothing. Then suddenly a couple of hours later boom it's going strong. I've had yeasts go off much quicker but 12 hours is not bad. Wort was 1.52 to start. Let's see how long it takes to eat trough it.

Ok so pitched this on Saturday at about 10pm og was 1.052 it's now 1.014.

I've decided I'm going to speed brew it. It is going in a corny tonight with some dry hops. I'll leave the keg in the warm to allow any fermentation to finish off in keg and then crash cool tomorrow night. I intend to drink it Friday night.

Ok it's now kegged and I've decided just to cold crash it. Beer was surprisingly clear considering. I've kegged/bottled cloudier beer before that has had much more time. I may try and pull a pint of this tomorrow night just for fun. That would be 4 day old beer.

I've salvaged 4 jars of sludge and I'll use that again in another brew. I also bought some vials and some glycerin a while back. I may use one of the jars and attempt to freeze the yeast in the vials mixed with glycerin.

Here's the sample I took before deciding to keg

14478038654770.jpg

With a proper starter I think it would go even faster.

Thing is it didn't seem like a very vigorous fermentation. No huge kruasen or anything but it just chugs through it and then drops like a stone.

And there you have it. 4 day old beer. Not perfect but surprisingly good. Looks pretty hazy but I think that is chill haze rather than yeast. I'm calling "unfiltered" craft beer. They charge extra for that in the craft beer pubs.

I think with a starter and a slightly lower gravity beer you could put beer in a glass in 3 days

14478675495030.jpg

14478675855330.jpg

Wow well done, that's quite an achievement! Why do we all drag it out so much?! :lol:

Does it taste a bit unready, like it will improve a fair bit, or is it nice and fresh and great just as it is?

I would drink it over a Tenants or a Stella any day :)

To be honest there are no weird/off flavours that I think need aging out. I used magnum for bittering which is nice and smooth. The yeast is really neutral and just drops like a stone when it is done. I would happily sit an drink 6 pints (or more) of it. The main thing missing at this point for me is dry hop, its just not had long enough for that. Also my hop bag which I wrapped around the tube in the keg detached itself and floated to the surface, I didn't want to risk infection fixing it. I suppose that's what I get for rushing things.

I'm actually going to try a 3 day speed brew. There's nothing to lose really. If I decide it needs conditioned then I can just leave it in the corny for a few weeks.

I always find that younger beers can be rough in the alcohol department, but they tend to smooth out. I don't get obvious off-flavours anymore, but that is another ting which yeast can help correct in time.

I sometimes wonder if people who are managing to get really quick turnarounds are just having very healthy, controlled fermentations. After all, cask ale can be casked just before FG, and allowed to settle and relieve pressure over several days before pouring....

Latest posts

Back