Wood burners

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stoves industry is continually pushing forward to increase efficiencies and make cleaner burning appliances; From CE marking to DEFRA approval, standards have improved for the better over recent years and will continue to with EU Ecodesign regulations set to come into force in 2022. The key aim is to reduce air pollution, with the focus being on lowering particulate levels.

In recent years wood burning stoves have become an easy target, without a big voice to defend against attention grabbing headlines that do a great deal of damage to the industry and effect independent retailers throughout the UK. Coming from the right angle, the story could actually help provide the positive outcome that the Clean Air Strategy is aiming for, so let’s look at the details.

Open fires and stoves around 10 years and older are less efficient and produce higher particulate matter (PM), whilst the latest Ecodesign Ready stoves can produce 90% fewer PM emissions than an open fire and 80% fewer than a 10 year old stove.

Ecodesign is a European-wide scheme programme with strict PM limits 55% lower than for DEFRA exempt stoves to lower emissions. It is due to come into force for stoves in the UK in 2022, however many manufacturers have seized the initiative to produce stoves that already exceed these targets. These stoves can be identified by the Stove Industry Alliance ‘SIA Ecodesign Ready’ logo.

So clearly, this newer breed of stove should be encouraged and anyone buying in the near future should consider an SIA Ecodesign Ready stove, not just for the environment, but because they will lower bills by using less fuel. However, the Ecodesign initiative will not be applied retrospectively, so any stove currently in use or bought before 2022 will still be able to be used.

https://www.rnwilliams.co.uk/uncategorized/are-wood-burning-stoves-going-to-be-banned/

It's people who haven't got one being jealous...that's what it is..nothing more. Wood burners are great. Ask my cat. I'm off to play with my chopper...

It looks like they are talking about old wood burners (post #321) that like open fires cause the most PM2.5 emissions when burning wood.

Ecodesign is a European-wide scheme programme with strict PM limits 55% lower than for DEFRA exempt stoves to lower emissions. It is due to come into force for stoves in the UK in 2022,

I don't have one but, i think they are great, i was born in the early 50s so i have lived through all the smog fog diesels with a smoke trail behind them, open coal fires' well i'm still here alive and well, once you attract the attention of the green lobby who tend to go overboard with everything like they have with cars, they will try to ban them in their quest to save an orb that floats in space

Why is wood burning a problem?​

The main pollutant emitted by burning solid fuels like wood is ultra-fine particulate matter, also known as PM2.5. It's not visible to the naked eye, so even 'smokeless' fuels and appliances may be causing pollution. PM2.5 is widely acknowledged as being the air pollutant which has the greatest impact on human health. Both short and long-term exposure to PM2.5 increase the risk of early deaths from respiratory and cardiovascular diseases as well as increased hospital admissions.
Children growing up exposed to PM2.5 are more likely to have reduced lung function and can develop asthma. Current evidence suggests there is no safe level of PM2.5.

How much of this PM2.5 is due to wood burning?​

Government statistics show that domestic wood burning accounted for 25 per cent of PM2.5 emissions in 2020. Emissions from PM2.5 from domestic wood burning have increased by 35 per cent between 2010 and 2020. Domestic wood burning has become the single biggest source of small particle air pollution in the UK, exceeding that of road traffic.
A report from the European Environment Bureau showed that even Euro-certified 'Eco-stoves' produce 750 times more PM2.5 per unit of energy produced than a modern HGV.
Our latest data shows that in 2019, 17 per cent of London’s particulate matter pollution can be attributed to domestic wood burning (LAEI, 2019), which is why controlling wood burning is an important urban issue.

What should I do about it?​

The best way to reduce your exposure is to stop burning or reduce the amount you burn. If you are going to burn, choosing what you burn and how you burn it can make a big difference to the pollution it creates. Reducing the personal pollution you and your household are exposed to from domestic burning is crucial to maintaining long-term health and reducing the risk of respiratory and cardiovascular diseases.
If you’re on a low income and burning solid fuel is your primary source of heating, you may be eligible for free heating, insulation and ventilation improvements under the Mayor’s Warmer Homes Programme.
Stoves and fireplaces:
Open fireplaces are the most polluting way to burn solid fuels and pose the greatest risk to health and so should be avoided.
Since January 2022 all new wood burning stoves have to meet new EcoDesign standards. Ecodesign wood burning stoves produce 450 times more toxic air pollution than gas central heating, according to new data published in the Chief Medical Officer's Annual Report 2022. Whereas older stoves, now banned from sale, produce 3,700 times more. Wood burners can also be the least efficient way of heating your home and any wood burning will cause pollution emissions.
If you do have a stove or fireplace it should be properly maintained, and your chimney should be swept regularly.
Types of fuel:
Since 1 May 2021, the Air Quality Solid Fuel regulations have come into force restricting the sale of wet wood and bituminous coal. A list of authorised fuels can be found on the Defra website.
Usually wood that has been kiln dried or seasoned to have a lower moisture content will be much less polluting, as much as 50 per cent less pollution than emitted from burning fresh logs. Drier wood is also more efficient, producing more heat per log and less likely to cause a chimney fire.
Wood that has the Woodsure Ready to Burn label is certified to have a low moisture content, for a full list of suppliers see the list on the Woodsure website.
You should not burn old pallets, furniture or scrap wood as it may contain contaminants that can be harmful to your health and the environment.
It is important to store your fuels correctly to make sure your wood and briquettes do not get damp from the rain or damp in the ground.
Coal and briquettes:
Coal burning factories contributed to the Great Smog of London in 1952 where thousands of lives were lost. In response, parliament passed the Clean Air Act of 1956, which restricted the burning of coal in urban areas and authorised local councils to set up smoke-free zones. It is against the law to burn coal in London. Burning coal and briquettes also contributes to human-induced climate change.

I smash it all up with my big axe!
Had a gas engineer round yesterday who had two burners in his house..a 20kw monster downstairs that took 2ft logs and a 8kw upstairs. Says there's not much he can't burn!

Had a gas engineer round yesterday who had two burners in his house..a 20kw monster downstairs that took 2ft logs and a 8kw upstairs. Says there's not much he can't burn!

5kw max for our room size.

Mine is rated 5. The ratings are at nominal use...you can run it cooler or hotter,so I'm in the 3 to 7 range. .

These stove thermometers give a range between 280c to 450c so as you say you can adjust the temperature to suit your needs and still keep it in the "best operating" zone.

1676486882214.png

Yes..I have one of those...and a stove fan. I got the fan as a "toy"...it looks great whizzing away on my stove! Plus it pushes the hot air across the room and through the kitchen into the hall...and this probably rises up stairs.

You getting a burner Chippy_Tea?

We are in two minds a multifuel stove will mean a hell of a lot of upheaval as the chimney needs to be opened up we only have a small open fire or we could go for one of these new super efficient gas fires, i would prefer to keep the existing fire and get a more modern grate, we have a very small Livingroom and the open fire quickly heats it so we don't really need a stove but thought it would be nice to have one.

I don't think the infrastructure will be in place.
Battery technology isn't there yet to support the quick charge people will expect. Thousands won't be able to home charge. Can enough electricity be supplied to charge these cars or is it to coincide with a massive reduction on the amount of cars on the road?
exactly what you said clint.

I could see a layer of pollution hanging over the porttalbot bay area coming from the steelworks and yet all cars including euro 5 & 6 cars have to slow to 50 because of the pollution they AREN'T causing.

Good old welsh government - roads will not allowed to speed traffic up. they hate the welsh leaving wales and they hate those visiting. Very restrictive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64640215

In wrexham they've put a 50mph limit area on the bypass for years but only in a certain area so they can lower emission readings to allow housing estates to be built alongside..the bypass..allegedly.
#bentasadogshindleg

Im off to the Hebrides in May and the cottage Im renting burns peat! Yes, you heard that correctly - cant wait, its smells fab!

We fitted a woodburner about 8 years ago, It isnt used all the time, more as a backup to gas central heating. We tend to light it in the evenings in winter only. Wood i get from all over in fact have never had the need to buy any. I have a good log store & fill it with cut & split logs one end and consume the dry ones as i go. Nothing goes in the stove unless its been air dried for at least a year. Just logged another big pile from mother in laws garden, Lucky that she has an acre of woodland attached so a never ending supply! Going to get more difficult when the house is sold though.
I also just fitted a small stove in my garage workshop. Electricity costs are simply too high to run the oil filled rad i was using before. We had solar panels fitted a few years ago & have cut our electric usage by nearly half yet are still paying twice what we were.
In the end councils simply dont have the manpower to enforce any of this. A local boatyard sets fire to a skip full of domestic garbage & plastic waste every week, people have been complaining for years & nothing gets done. So im not worried about being told i cant use my woodburner!

We are in two minds a multifuel stove will mean a hell of a lot of upheaval as the chimney needs to be opened up we only have a small open fire or we could go for one of these new super efficient gas fires, i would prefer to keep the existing fire and get a more modern grate, we have a very small Livingroom and the open fire quickly heats it so we don't really need a stove but thought it would be nice to have one.
It might not be too bad, we only have a small opening so our choices of burner were limited but it was still installed in a couple of days which included putting a twin wall flue through the centre of the house. If you already have an open fire then hopefully you would just need a new liner dropping down your chimney which would be much simpler.

We went for the clock blithfield compact, sia ecodesign and rated at 5kw, I love it for keeping me cosy while I work from home

Attachments

• 16765337231447684558142453222184.jpg
    16765337231447684558142453222184.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back