Woodforde's Wherry fermentation problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c_sharpe

Reaction score
I have made this kit several times and have always been pleased with the results but this time the primary fermentation has stalled. The two tins of concentrate were mixed with boiling water in a brand new sterilized 33 litre fermentation bucket then topped up with water to 23 litres and allowed to cool to 25 deg C. I dissolved two teaspoons of Muntons medium spray malt in some boiling water and allowed that to cool to 25 deg c before adding the yeast that I had re-hydrated in 1/2 a cup of water also at 25 deg C. I covered this and let it stand for 40mins to check it was alive and starting to froth and then added it to the wort and stirred it in. Specific Gravity was 1.036. Everything from the can-opener to the airlock had been sterilised using VWP powder and then thoroughly rinsed. The airtight lid was fixed in place and the fermenter was placed in a cloakroom where the temperature is a constant 22 deg. All looked good and twenty-four hours later the air-lock was bubbling regularly as expected. Then after a further two days the bubbling stopped. I left it untouched expecting the yeast to start up again but nothing happened. Ten days after starting the fermentation and with no further sign of yeast activity I took a sample from the wort and checked the SG which was 1.022. I tried stirring the wort (putting the sterilised stirrer through the air-lock hole to minimise air contact) but 4 days later still no change in air-lock activity and SG still at 1.022. I then mixed up another lot of yeast as I had before and added that. Four days later and now 22 days into the fermentation still no air-lock activity. I have just taken another SG reading and it is now 1.014 so improving but no air-lock bubbling and it is still to high to barrel. The wort smells ok, tastes ok and the samples have alot of fizz in them but they are much more cloudy than my previous Wherry fermentations. Am I doing something wrong here and any ideas on what is happening? Previous primary fementations of the same kit made in the same way have had an SG of 1.004 after 10 days and have been much clearer.

I've never had a Wherry go below 1012. As long as the reading has been the same for 2 or 3 days i would go ahead and keg it
:cheers:

around 1.012 is fine for a wherry, 1.004 is low. I would suggest that somewhere along the lines the CO2 has been escaping from somewhere else than through the air lock. Which is no problem at all I don't use an air lock on beers and just leave one side of the fv lid loose.
I would suggest your brew is fine and that you take another sample and if its again 1.004....get it bottled.

Back