Woodforde's Wherry still fermenting. What's going on?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a spare bucket you can move it to?
I generally move a beer after 2-3 weeks from the primary and then let it sit a week in a secondary fermenter away from the yeast to condition before sticking in a keg or bottling.

Having said that, I read the results of an experiment recently that showed there's very little difference in beer that has been sitting in the primary for 1-2 weeks to one that has as for a month or more.

Bottom line - as long as the been is not infected and is at a stable temperature then there's really no urgency to move or bottle it. Just close the lid and alive it a week or so to sort itself out.

This assumes you have other beer to be drinking. If you are out of beer then get it racked now!!!! A shortage of beer overrules everything.

This may be a huge can of worms spilled open, but here goes.

I as well as many of the latest publications and studies from sources like: Gordon Strong, jamil Zanaichef, John Gordon, and the UC Davis Brewer's School advise against racking the beer to a secondary vessel unless a secondary fermentation is actually taking place; ie dry hopping, adding fruit, or adding a second yeast strain. The studies show that the risk of introducing outside oxygen and wild yeast is much greater than the benefits of moving the beer. Best course of action, leave the beer alone in primary for 4-6 weeks and grab yourself a second primary fermenter to start a second brew.

1.013. I must've read the hydrometer incorrectly the last time. Strangely though it's still producing enough gas for me to have to burp it from the fv (no air lock).

Will this be safe to bottle or should I wait until the gas stops?

Latest posts

Back