Woodforde's Wherry still fermenting. What's going on?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teriyakimonkey

Reaction score
I'm doing my first kit in years, Woodforde's Wherry.

It's in a basic bucket with the lid on nice and tight. The temperature is within the 18-20 degrees recommended and sometimes a little higher.

The kit instructions say it should take 4-6 days to ferment, but it's now been 10 days and the lid to the bucket is still swelling. I'm letting the gas out about twice a day.

What does all of this indicate and is it going to be ok?

:?

I haven't done it yet as I know it's still fermenting.

I'll have a look in a while and post up what it reads.

I still haven't managed to do a hydrometer reading yet but it's still producing gas although only very small amounts of it. The lid of the fv isn't properly bulging like it has done until now, just taking out a bit of the slack I give it when I push it down to re-seal it.

I am correct in thinking that if gas is still being produced then the yeast hasn't died off yet and it's still fermenting aren't I?

teriyakimonkey said:
I still haven't managed to do a hydrometer reading yet but it's still producing gas although only very small amounts of it. The lid of the fv isn't properly bulging like it has done until now, just taking out a bit of the slack I give it when I push it down to re-seal it.

I am correct in thinking that if gas is still being produced then the yeast hasn't died off yet and it's still fermenting aren't I?

It will still bubble a little sometimes even when fermentations essentially finished, you need to test it with a hydrometer.

The yeast doesn't die off even when it has finished fermenting it just goes dormant until such times as you add priming sugar at the bottling / kegging stage and it will re awaken to carbonate your beer...

:cheers:

Aha, the plot thickens!

In that case I will definitely do a reading tomorrow and get the fv moved into the kitchen where it's a little cooler. Then I shall await all of my bottling goodies in anticipation of identical hydrometer readings.

Thanks.

1.013 and it tastes like beer. Lots of floaty bits in it but I took my sample with a jug from the top of the beer.

Lid is STILL popping up adn I just read 1.012! Bloody thing.

Will it help to warm up my living room a bit more tonight?

That's fine mate bottle give it a week in the warm then chill for atwo then enjoy :-)

it's 6 of one time...imo

ideally a steady reading over 2 days is what you want to say that fermentation is over, bottling whilst the SG is falling and adding priming sugars isn't a great idea.

The way i see it as it's been 15 days (or more?) so really it needs to be taken off the dead yeast soon...

1. Bottle as it is and hope the final fermentation gives you the bottle carbonation you need.
2. Bottle with a small amount of priming sugars, again some guess work.
3. Wait..try a little if you can, if it's ok let it do it's thing and get steady SG reading.

I'd go with 3 I think.

I'm going to give it a day or two longer without turning the heating off. I suspect it might be going slowly if it's been cooling down slightly at night.

It tastes lovely!

4-6 days is really not enough time for fermentation to complete. I usually keep my beers in the fermenter for 21 days before I even take a reading.

Just because the instructions of your kit say a week does not mean its done. That just means they want you to come by another kit.

The yeast still has a lot of work to do even after your FG has been hit.

Back