Worst book you ever read (or tried to)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Da Vinci Code was terrible, you just think anyone who searches for something with a "portable light source" instead of a torch has just googled thesaurus. The story was far-fetched rubbish, the writing abysmal, I never want to read anymore of his books
And that other book made into a Matt Damon film where he was running away from bad people but didn't know why, that wsa rubbish too! :electric: Thats what I needed after! (Still I got to use that smiley!)

:party:
Tim_Crowhurst said:
Shakespeare's "King Lear".

Admittedly it's technically not a book, however the novel hadn't been invented when he was writing so it's as close as you'll get from that era. I've never been a big fan of his plays anyway so it was never going to score very highly, and it probably wasn't helped by me being forced to sit through the most godawful production imaginable, in a seat so poorly designed that I had back-ache and knee-ache for two days afterwards, but I'd sooner go to a Bieber :sick: concert than sit through that again. The man really ought to have stuck to sonnets.

The trouble with Shakespeare is that the language is so hard for us to understand nowadays. I had a brilliant English teacher at college, and so I was lucky enough to get a chance to appreciate and enjoy Shakespeare. But I'd never attempt to read him on my own back - for too hard-going, and not being English doesn't help!

Dennis

dennisdk2000 said:
The trouble with Shakespeare is that the language is so hard for us to understand nowadays. I had a brilliant English teacher at college, and so I was lucky enough to get a chance to appreciate and enjoy Shakespeare. But I'd never attempt to read him on my own back - for too hard-going, and not being English doesn't help!

Dennis

The language isn't the problem for me. I love Shakespeare's sonnets, and I'm also a big fan of Chaucer, who wrote in a form of English that's virtually a foreign language compared to contemporary English.

We need to talk about Kevin - really couldn't get past the first few pages, even after several attempts.
The film of the book was very well done, so it's probably just me.

Kate Moss Winter Ghosts was probably worse than Labrynth (if that's possible).

Brewbob said:
Da Vinci Code was terrible, you just think anyone who searches for something with a "portable light source" instead of a torch has just googled thesaurus. The story was far-fetched rubbish, the writing abysmal, I never want to read anymore of his books
And that other book made into a Matt Damon film where he was running away from bad people but didn't know why, that wsa rubbish too! :electric: Thats what I needed after! (Still I got to use that smiley!)

I agree with you I felt that it was very predictable and went down a narrow path, the film was even worse. :lol: :lol:

Brewbob said:
Avoid “Angels and Demons” then, it's much worse.

The Beano annual 1979..............................

I'll get my coat :oops:

The Naked Lunch - W S Burroughs, just didn't enjoy it and found it hard work. Also felt the need to wash my hands after each read.

Swazi said:
The Naked Lunch - W S Burroughs, just didn't enjoy it and found it hard work. Also felt the need to wash my hands after each read.

Some of his other stuff is a bit more accessible (only a bit though), eg Nova Express, The Ticket That Exploded
It helps to have some idea what he's on about before you start reading, too.

Mammoth by Stephen Baxter

Awful - rubbish plot, ludicrous concept, and it even has a mammoth love scene.

Not sure about terrible but I never got through Crime and Punishment. I have also failed on 4 attempts to read Catch 22!

Crastney said:
We need to talk about Kevin - really couldn't get past the first few pages, even after several attempts.
The film of the book was very well done, so it's probably just me.

I found it a little difficult to begin with, just the way way it was written but soldiered on and ended up really enjoying it. Never seen the film but wouldn't mind. Is there a big twist in the film? In the book I never saw it coming!!!

aamcle said:
Game of Thrones .......
Aamcle
:sulk:

Moley said:
Brewbob said:
Avoid “Angels and Demons” then, it's much worse.

I thought Angels and Demons was okay and was bemused that the turd that is The Da Vinci Code was the one in the spotlight (not that either book, or indeed any Dan Brown book, deserved the spotlight).

I hated Of Mice and Men when I read it at school but I suspect outside of an academic setting I might of enjoyed it. Certainly a re-reading of To Kill a Mockingbird was worthwhile.

The winner, for me, has to be The Talented Mr Ripley. I've hated it in three formats now. The book was bad, the play I saw was awful and the film was utter garbage. You may ask why I subjected myself to such torture. Well, a pretty blonde has a lot to answer for...

cwiseman77 said:
I have also failed on 4 attempts to read Catch 22!

One of my all time favourites! It must a few years since I read it last though. Time to dig it out of the attic again.

I 'skimmed' that 50 shades rubbish, ignoring the actual storyline as being pure bumpkum, the writing ability was abysmal, it was almost as if it had been written via email/message board, truly dire.

Book 4 onwards of the Bourne books, they should of left him be after the 3rd one, not milked another 7!!

falafael said:
The worst 'book' i have read, well, a little, was something called :

Awake- by jehovis witnesses, soon went on the fire that did!!

I do hope that's not a religious slur :nono:

sdsratm said:
falafael said:
The worst 'book' i have read, well, a little, was something called :

Awake- by jehovis witnesses, soon went on the fire that did!!

I do hope that's not a religious slur :nono:

No its not, its a bloody statement, and when they come knocking on my door, waking me up, just to give me that ****, then, like all junk mail, it goes on the bloody fire!!

Latest posts

Back