Would this fruit juice combo work?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
Instead of making the Vimto topic go too far off topic, I thought I'd ask the question in a new thread.

I've just been out to get a bit more fruit juice incase this ends up a disaster. I got 2L of AJ & 2L of exotic fruit juice. The ingredients for the AJ is simple:

Ingredients - Pure AJ from concentrate.

Ingredients from the other exotic fruit juice is:

Water, fruit juices from concentrate (32%) (orange, pineapple, passion fruit, apple, lemon, lime), sugar, fruit purees (3%) (apricot, guava, banana, mango), citric acid, natural flavourings, colours (beta-carotene).

Would the above qualify for making some kind of alcoholic fruit drink? If so, is there anything that should / shouldnt be added.

Well I can't see any reason why that shouldn't work as a sort of fruity TC :thumb:

Personally, I would add a couple of litres of white grape juice, a bag-and-a-half of sugar and some pectolase and turn it into 10 litres of mixed juice wine.

Thanks Moley :thumb: .

What do I use to make it upto 10L? I have 4L here now, you suggest 2L of WGJ.. :grin:

i made a 1 gallon wine wth 1l grape juice and 2l pine apple juice sugar etc
so i'd probably leave out an apple and add 2 grape juice or else just 1 grape juice but 2 is probably better add sugar to 1080-1090 add yeast and away you go, just watch out for a violent beginning to the ferment most tropical juices seem to

Chris said:
What do I use to make it upto 10L?
I was talking about turning it into a wine, hence the sugar to get the OG up around 1.090, so just water, some pectolase to help it clear and a general purpose wine yeast plus nutrients.

If you are wanting to ferment just the juices (with no added sugar) TC-style then just add more AJ or some WGJ to fill a gallon DJ or a 5 litre PET.

Thanks everyone :grin: .

After using all my S-04 I only have a sachet of champagne yeast left, would this be ok to use on a fruit juice brew?

granda said:
champagne yeast is no bother i use it for all my wines
btw what sort of wine are you going to make

I really don't like wine mate, it's like alcoholic vinegar to me :lol: . I'm just looking at this from a fruity TC point of view if you like :party: .

Today I decided to do the following, it could be an epic fail though :lol: .

1 x 5L empty water jug
2L AJ
1.7L mixed fruit juice as above
750ml Vimto brought to the boil then simmered for 25mins. This reduced to 550ml
7 x tbsp of sugar :party:
1 x Youngs Champagne yeast

Yeast pitched, left for 15 mins then given a good ole shake. Within 4 hours it's going realy well,1 bubble every 45 seconds, just now it's 1 bubble every 15 seconds. Looks ok, appears a bit cloudy but it's doing it's thing.

OG was 1078. I'm going to let it ferment out, taste it then back sweeten to my taste :thumb: .

Hi folks,

This had dropped from 1078 to 1006 last night. It's still bubbling, but it's gone from 1 bubble every 45 seconds to 1 every 6 seconds to 1 every 9 or 10 seconds the last couple of days. The yeast is still sat at the top, but there's a layer at the bottom that looks the same as what's on the top. It tastes lovely even to a beer drinker :grin:.

Here's a few photos:

When should I bottle this? I will back-sweeten slightly, other than that I'm pretty chuffed with the end result. :thumb:

Moley said:
Well I can't see any reason why that shouldn't work as a sort of fruity TC :thumb:

Personally, I would add a couple of litres of white grape juice, a bag-and-a-half of sugar and some pectolase and turn it into 10 litres of mixed juice wine.
What does the grape juice do, is it for more fermentables and flavour or more to it??
BB

Anyone :oops: ?

This has been on the go exactly 2 weeks

Chris said:
Today I decided to do the following, it could be an epic fail though :lol: .

1 x 5L empty water jug
2L AJ
1.7L mixed fruit juice as above
750ml Vimto brought to the boil then simmered for 25mins. This reduced to 550ml
7 x tbsp of sugar :party:
1 x Youngs Champagne yeast

Yeast pitched, left for 15 mins then given a good ole shake. Within 4 hours it's going realy well,1 bubble every 45 seconds, just now it's 1 bubble every 15 seconds. Looks ok, appears a bit cloudy but it's doing it's thing.

OG was 1078. I'm going to let it ferment out, taste it then back sweeten to my taste :thumb: .

It is still bubbling but once every 15 - 20 seconds now.. When should I bottle? How do I get round all the stuff at the top of the brew? :wha:

it will keep going untill its finished dude, i jus racked a wine that took 30 odd days to ferment, why, hell knows but ure best bet is to leave it till the bubbles near enough stop.

More advice from more experienced peeps will prob follow but i think im along the right lines

BarnsleyBrewer said:
What does the grape juice do, is it for more fermentables and flavour or more to it??
Fermentables and vinosity, that's body and ‘mouth feel’, but that sort of grape juice won't give full body. Don't forget I was talking about making something completely different to Chris.

Chris: Will that gunk at the top settle out if you give the jar a quick swirl, or does it rise again?

Moley said:
Chris: Will that gunk at the top settle out if you give the jar a quick swirl, or does it rise again?

Hi Moley :D ,

I've just checked it & everything has dropped to the bottom of the FV :party: . But, it's still bubling once every 20 seconds (just timed it) and the yeast still seems to be moving around at the bottom, it's kind of rolling & just moving. :hmm: .

Back