X - offenders.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a short clip of a young (late teens) homeless guy who wasn't taking drugs and boozing but just trying to find a place to live and a job
He'd applied for jobs, housing etc
Even the reporter had to comfort him as he was at tipping point
It's these cases I feel we need to put money by for as more a priority over ex con's
It shouldn't be like this today
Makes me sad that without help he will just be another hopeless casualty that we could have prevented

It shouldn't be one or the other. Both constituencies should be helped.

The tax break idea might not be the right carrot for the companies to hire anyone.... however I wasn’t saying criminals should be left in the spiral. I was merely saying that they shouldn’t be at the top of the pecking order above law abiding jobless, homeless or those in need but still be included in any scheme to return to work.

I'm not in favour of any sort of artificial weighting, anywhere for any reason because it smacks of a rather dark ideology that favours equality of outcome over equality of opportunity. Whether it's dome on race, gender, criminal history or whatever, it always results in some ordinary Joe who is working hard and just trying to get on being discriminated against in favour of the group du jour.
If you want to improve outcomes for former prisoners (and not all prisoners are bad people) create a prison environment that fosters education and skills development in addition to punishment and incarceration.
Sadly, our prisons are failing at every level. Sort that out and you won't have to engage in this nonsense.

I'm not in favour of any sort of artificial weighting, anywhere for any reason because it smacks of a rather dark ideology that favours equality of outcome over equality of opportunity. Whether it's dome on race, gender, criminal history or whatever, it always results in some ordinary Joe who is working hard and just trying to get on being discriminated against in favour of the group du jour.
If you want to improve outcomes for former prisoners (and not all prisoners are bad people) create a prison environment that fosters education and skills development in addition to punishment and incarceration.
Sadly, our prisons are failing at every level. Sort that out and you won't have to engage in this nonsense.

Probably because their increasingly privately run. I dont think something like the prison service can be run for profit without consequences. Also the probation service has been completely gutted and passed over to charities like the one MrsMQ works for

Probably because their increasingly privately run. I dont think something like the prison service can be run for profit without consequences. Also the probation service has been completely gutted and passed over to charities like the one MrsMQ works for
Surely you're not suggesting that private prisons have no interest in rehabilitating people because that might reduce reoffending and thus negatively impact profits.
You cynical devil you.

Latest posts

Back