Yeast quantity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niles

Reaction score
Hi

Going to make a supermarket juice drink, I generally use Youngs super yeast and yeast nutrient the instructions state use 1 teaspoon of each per gallon. I’m making 3 galls/15 ltrs but I’m fairly sure you don’t multiply these by 3 as you do with the other ingredients, would it impair the taste if I used to little or not enough?

I might try Lalvin EC-118 I’ve read that it is good for orchard fruit and I’m using Don Simon pure pressed apple juice (contains 9 apples ) the instructions for this yeast says between 4.5 – 25 ltrs so should be ok. Anybody tried this yeast?

Just to change the subject “fermenting temperature” , I’ve got a peach drink fermenting at the moment at 12.5°c, is it better to ferment at a low temperature like this or raising the temp with a heater belt or pad? I would have thought a longer fermentation at a lower temperature woud be better but I’m guessing really.

Any comments would be appreciated.

cheers

Scale up the yeast nutrient to 3 tsps, but not the yeast itself.

I've never used that Lalvin yeast so I can't comment, although it sounds fine to me.

A longer, cooler fermentation will produce a better wine, but I'm talking about 16-20°C as opposed to 20-24°C.

12.5°C is too cold, it might get there eventually but will take a bloody long time.

Latest posts

Back