Yeast starter concern?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
I made a starter as is my normal practice and sufficient to overbuild by 150Bn cells.
This was using WLP002 which is a very flocculent yeast.
As normal I placed on the stirrer plate, fermentation started as normal. At 18 hours I turned off the plate at high krausen. At 48 hours I planned to split the overbuild off into a jar and then stick both in the fridge until I pitch, so far all my normal practice.
However there was still a small amount of foam on the top and I was a concerned perhaps it had not finished, I remove the stirrer bar and put the erlenmayer jar to one side and then noticed many small bubbles rising, this lifted a chunk of yeast off the bottom.
30 mins later and a new krausen has formed and there is a lot of activity in the jar again?
I have never experienced this before, do you think this is normal or do you think I may have an infection?

Sounds to me like it never finished in the first place. I normally leave my starters going with the stir bar until after the krausen has dropped back. I then leave it for another 6 hours or so just to be sure it's finished before moving to the fridge.

Sounds to me like it never finished in the first place. I normally leave my starters going with the stir bar until after the krausen has dropped back. I then leave it for another 6 hours or so just to be sure it's finished before moving to the fridge.
Thanks, I hope you are right, I have always switched the stirrer off after 18 hours as that was what Palmer recommended when I first read his book so have just stuck to that, always been okay until today. Its the overbuild Im worried about as I don't want to create a bomb ;)

I'll leave it and as long as it tastes okay when it's finished I guess it's okay to pitch.

I am with Stu. I think it will be fine.
The fault is 'cos the yeast can't tell the time 😉
Cheers
It's still chugging away, pleanty of krausen, not much sign of bubbles now, seems like it might be a while before the krausen dissappears

Latest posts

Back