Youngs 15g yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonypolony

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently found a youngs pale ale kit in my cupboard but the yeast is out of date by 2 years.
I cannot find that precise US WEST COAST Yeast so can anyone offer advice. Its potential has to be 5.6ABV
Thanks, Tony

The kit yeast packet is 15g

15g will be enough to ferment with, but you may find that it isn't enough for it to not be 'under-pitched' (the number of yeast cells per ml of wort is lower than recommended for the style) which can result in excessive fermentation flavour compounds (esters, etc.) in the beer. These flavours are desirable in something like an English bitter but you generally want something a bit 'cleaner' for an American pale so you would pitch more yeast in these.

These are a couple of fairly useful articles covering pitching rates that may help you make a decision on whether 15g is suitable for your brew:

https://byo.com/article/pitching-rates-yeast-techniques/https://grainfather.com/yeast-pitching-rates/
For something like an American Pale I would normally aim for a pitch rate of 1 million / ml.

The Brew Your Own article discusses using a yeast starter to get the right pitch rate but if you don't want to go down that you can just add a higher quantity of dried yeast instead.

That's great words my friend.
The wort is in sealed in vac sealed bags so I expect that to be fine.

Attachments

• 16299727378485916726326689419386.jpg
    16299727378485916726326689419386.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 43
Hi, I've recently found a youngs pale ale kit in my cupboard but the yeast is out of date by 2 years.
I cannot find that precise US WEST COAST Yeast so can anyone offer advice. Its potential has to be 5.6ABV
Thanks, Tony
I've brewed with yeast dated Nov 2016 with good results.

I'd assume any American ale style yeast such as Wyeast 1056 (this is my go to for American-style IPAs/Pales) of Safale US-05 would be suitable.

If you specifically want West Coast yeast then it looks like Mangrove Jack's do one: Brewing Ingredients - Yeast - Liquid & Dry - Dried Brewing Yeast - Mangrove Jack's US West Coast Yeast - The Malt Miller | The Malt Miller

Never used it myself so can't comment on how it performs.
Did as per your advice and the brew was very very good. Citra hops have a brilliant flavour but only used half a bag. Cheers.

Back