Youngs 25l Fermentation Bins

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Bolton

Reaction score
Returning to home brewing after many years I bought 4 Youngs 25l fermenting bins from ebay. The lids are secured with a moulded "skirt" that runs around the circumference of the lid. The problem is none of the lids provide an airtight seal and I'm wondering this is by design or poor manufacturing? None of the lids had holes for an airlock so I drilled them out, but as the leads don't seal it seems that I wasted my time? Nevertheless I've brewed 4 x25l batches without any problems, which is leading me to think that an airlock isn't necessacry with these bins?

I spent quite a bit of ca$h on a SS FV and, for what ever reason, it doesn't seal well so I get no airlock action as a rule. Doesn't matter. The beer is still great and I usually just wait 7 days for primary fermentation to finish then up the temp for a few days, finally I finish with a few days of dry hop and cold crash and job done. No problems.

I have 2 x youngs FV's with lids like the one below the ridges make it hard to get the lids on and off so they are both airtight after years of use mine had the holes and grommets already in place.

1644261885044.png

The older Young's lids are fine - as long as they are used properly. If you look closely at the lid it will say something like "lift skirt completely (ooo-errr Mrs.), before removing lid.
Quite often, people just prize them off without lifting the skirt, thus weakening the seal...

Latest posts

Back