neverending fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carljbray

Reaction score
Hi All,

My first post here, and a return from a 7 year hiatus in brewing, so please go easy on a newbie ;-)

following lockdown in the uk, I grabbed my old brewing gear out of the garage, unused in 7 years since moving into a flat with restricted space

Managed to get a new 40 pint brewing kit (can) from wilkos, a tom claxton real ale, and new brewing sugar/spray dry malt, and got that one going after well cleaning and sterilising some very dusty gear - all went well, was done fermenting after 5 days. Then after a week, bottled half and the rest in a pressure barrel - still conditioning, and as yet untouched. So far so good.

Same weekend started on the next one. I had an old kit from years previously; a wilko's newkie brown kit, and some brewing sugar, both well out of date, by about 5 years, but I thought, what could be wrong; they were both sealed, in a can, and sugar sealed in an unopened plastic bag, and the sugar still a powder (unlike some of my old spray dry malt which had solidified into a big lump, even though sealed).

I bought a new packet of yeast and ditched the old, as I know that does go off, and started with the next batch.
this one was happily bubbling away within a few hours, but now 11 days later is still going, at a slightly reduced rate, but still a bubble through the airlock every 35 seconds, and going strong, so I would say is still steadily fermenting.
None of my previous batches have gone on for this long, usually are done within a week, maybe 9 days max, and the kits normally say 4-6 days

Did everything as per the first kit, except:
- it is a different kit of course; an old can of malt and old brewing sugar, but with newly purchased safale yeast
- the wort was a little warm when I pitched the yeast - about 23-24 degrees, I usually go in about 21 degrees, but didn't want to leave the wort hanging around, and the yeast packet said anything up to 25-26 degrees was fine.
- I was short of bottles so put in about a litre or two less than the prescribed 23 litres of water into the fermenting tank, thinking this would just make it a little stronger
- I put a towel around the fermenter to keep the light off it, and insulate it a little. The strip thermometer on the side has shown a consistent 20-21 degrees

Would any of these things likely cause a long slow fermentation? or am I just not being patient enough?

the line of scum on the top (krausen?) is thin this time, normally an inch or two thick, this time less than 1cm - so is this just a slow yeast perhaps?
Does it get to the point whereby it's gone on too long, and is likely to have gone off? how long?
I have resisted the temptation to take off the lid and look inside - the gasses bubbling off still smell nice and beery.
Is this likely just cos it was old?

Cheers, and thanks for any help or reassurance
Carl

Thanks Clint, I guess 2 weeks+ is not a problem then,
I'll give it till next weekend, which will be 3 weeks, and see how things stand

By the sounds of it its nearly done, up to a point it really doent matter how long it takes. So if you have hydrometer take a reading. Then another in 2 days time. If they are the same, its done and you can then bottle it if that suits, or leave it a day or two longer to clear some more. If the second reading is lower, then leave it a couple of days more before another reading until two readings are the same. And kits normally end up at about 1.010 +/- 2 points or so. And if necessity requires it, take the lid off, intervention is sometimes needed.

thanks Terry, it's still going Day 15, but bubbles now about every 50-55 seconds, so is slowing down.
I know the experts would tell me an airlock is not a definitive sign of when fermentation is ongoing or finished, but since it is still very regular, it suggests it still is I guess.
Will test it properly this week with the hydrometer, as suggested - thanks.

sorry to bring this up again, but the brew is still going at day 18,
bubbles are still slowing down, but then again, still consistent; a bibble in the airlock every 1min 15 secs or so, on average.
Should I be thinking about some sort of intervention? if so, what would this mean? - opening it up and pitching some more yeast?
I've not taken a gravity reading recently, as I don't want to open it up unnecessarily - but since co2 is still clearly being produced, fermentation must be ongoing right?
aarrrhhghh

ok, so this is driving me mad, so I have finally opened the top, to take a look, and a gravity reading,
attached are a couple of pictures - does anyone have a opinion on whether this looks good/normal/off or just plan weird?
it still smells nice

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 83
gravity is somewhere between 1.008 & 1.010
airlock started bubbling again pretty much as soon as I put it back on
my feeling is it's either abnormal growth on top, and it's buggered, or it is still going - I wouldn't want to bottle it like this

gravity is somewhere between 1.008 & 1.010
airlock started bubbling again pretty much as soon as I put it back on
my feeling is it's either abnormal growth on top, and it's buggered, or it is still going - I wouldn't want to bottle it like this
Take another gravity reading to confirm if fermentation is finished.
And use something sterile to pull a sample for tasting

Hi there, and thanks AleDr,
So I have taken another reading, gravity is the same as before at approx 1.008, however, there is still the bubbly growth on top, yeast or whatever, and the airlock is still bubbling, but now every two to three minutes, so getting ever slower.

Would you bottle/pressure barrel it when bubbles are still being produced, and the yeast has not dropped to the bottom?

I’ve tasted a sample, it tastes somewhere between rather fruity, and perhaps a tiny bit vinegary, but that might just be because it’s flat. It’s supposed to be a brown ale.

Thanks, Carl

Hi Carl
It seems likely the gravity won't fall much further so it's probably safe to bottle .
If you have a fridge available you could try a cold crash for a few days to encourage flocc
Failing that you can siphon through a filter into a bottling bucket
A vinegar taste is worrying though...so I would take a view now as to whether it is drinkable
before going to the bother of bottling

Your pictures look OK to me. You often get stuff like that floating on the top at the end the fermentation.
So from your SG and bubble rate for me its done .
Having got this far I certainly wouldn't be pouring it down the sink unless its truly rank. But if you have your doubts about it perhaps its better to put it in your PB if its free, because thats the easiest. If its a standard PB I would rack your beer off into that, leaving the crud behind, prime with 90g of sugar, then leave it a couple of days, then test the PB for leaks by drawing off half a cup full by which time it should be slightly carbed up and a back pressure in the PB, and then you get to have your first proper taster. I'm sure you will find its fine.

thanks for the advice guys,
I half bottled and half pressure barrelled this yesterday, hope it was not all in vain
It tasted ok, given that it was warm/flat/not conditioned
It's definitely fruity, but may just be my imagination about it edging towards vinegary - with a bit of carbonation, and cooled down, I think it may be pretty good - I guess we'll see! :-)
This one was definitely a learning experience

It was an odd batch this one, which I can only put down to the old, and out of date, can of malt, and/or brewing sugar

Just finishing the 16 pint barrel, it has some odd characteristics;
Sometimes it tastes a bit like red wine, or pomegranate juice, at other times like flat coke, only a little bit savoury, with a hint of liquorice and sometimes marmite - can't quite put my finger on it......
It also seems to give an instant heady feeling, almost a headache in the sinuses whilst drinking

Got quite a few bottles left to see how it develops over time - still a bit young for a dark beer I think, with 3-4 weeks conditioning, I had to drink it early as the barrel tap started leaking

Back