youngs american IPA 6.5% two days in

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crafty-man

Reaction score
My first homebrew! Yay!.
What attracted me to this one, was the pouch of hops, containing; Simcoe Centennial and Chinook, yummy.
The instructions are clear enough with a starting temp of 24 degrees and 1.058 SG indoors. The temp was heading down towards 20 early evening so put the brew-belt on until 11pm and switched it off at 24 degrees. I then wrapped it up with foil backed bubble wrap over night.

In the morning the temp had gone up to 25 (oops) indicating some activity so discarded the jacket - but...no bubbles. My bubbler is a tight fit in the bung and the bung is tight in the FV lid.

The following evening (30hrs in) I decided to tape up the lid to the bin and hey-presto; the lid is bulging upwards and it's bubbling like a mad thing.

Two days in and I notice the CO2 pushes the lid up until the pressure bursts thru the bubbler, the lid drops a little - the fluctuation is 3-4 mm. I'm going to put a weight on the lid to see the difference in the bubbler. In theory, the bubbles should pass through in steady frequency making it easier to monitor the rate of activity.
The weights are on and yes smaller releases - more often. but still irregular. time to stop fiddling, I guess.

I have bought a 25w aquarium heater from Amazon for £7.50 and have it set at 20 degrees, it has worked perfectly for my last 10 brews.
Just drilled a 20mm hole in lid and tightened a nylon cable gland onto cable.
It means you can leave it in the shed or wherever and forget about it for a while.
Good luck with your brew mate.

Latest posts

Back