Youngs Dried Active Yeast, Any good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodaa

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have a home brew shop near me and I am going to Blackpool tomorrow and have found a nearby brew shop. On there website they have Youngs Dried Active Yeast in 100g tubs for £1.22 and that seems awful cheap to me. Does anyone know if it's any good??

What are you planning to make?

I have always used youngs super wine yeast compound which is around £2 for 60g, this is a general purpose yeast and that's probably why its cheap, there is a thread about it - HERE

well after much web trawling I have found a home brew shop that does free delivery if you order over £14.95 :D and only £2.49 for orders under. So I think I will just order the youngs super wine yeast and a few other bits and bobs.

I have now found the Youngs dried active yeast in a local chemist for £1.75 so have bought a tub and done a WOW with it. Early signs are good, I pinched the yeast at 24°c and it started to ferment almost immediately.
2014-09-13184619_zps9e02a268.jpg

Last edited:
The original orange WOW is a bit like Marmite some love it some don't, i fall into the latter category, if you make it and don't like it do not be put off, there are many different juices you can use, Cranberry, Pomegranate and Raspberry based WOW's are very popular.

Latest posts

Back