Youngs Lager Kit Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandman

Reaction score
This started when I bumped into this pile at Tesco Home. The price and the fact that it has an additional ingredient pack providing 80 pints drew me in.

IMG_0056.jpg

24 hours later and it looked like this

IMG_0057.jpg

This was a straight kit brew with 1kg granulated Tate & Lyle. The only "tweak" is that I only made it up to 22 litres not the 23 litres specified. This was because the tap in the bath, while fashionable and elegant, wasnt long enough to reach the bucket without me hefting it over slightly, as it reached 20 litres it was deforming enough to risk spillage so I bailed out at 22 litres.

The Grav reading before pitching the yeast was 1.041. I banged the lid on and left it for 3 days before my n00b resolve snapped and I had to take a peek.

Now an odd thing happened, usually I have a go at 'er indoors' when she blasts the heating on during the day but having nestled the bucket in the space behind the living room door (usually reserved for the hoover) I decided that I would set the heating to min 19 degrees 24 hours a day...<whistle> I snuck in the change on the programmer. Keep that between us.

IMG_0058.jpg

The foam had receded back and I actually wondered if that was it for fermenting. I took a grav reading, 1.014. I eagerly jotted down the numbers and figured it was at 3.456% ABV. I put the lid back on and expected to be bottling the following day. I was a bit put off by the krausen ring until I googled it and found out it was actually a .. uh krausen ring. All good.

Opening the lid next day, gleefully rubbing my hands I was surprised to see that the foam had started returning and it was definitely busier than the previous day. Grav reading was 1.009. That's not Nesse poking his/her head out its my hydrometer, which for the time being lives in the bucket :) Its happy enough. So it was getting stronger which was mildly satisfying in the absence of being able to bottle.

IMG_0059.jpg

So its starting to smell and look more like lager, which is good. Disappointed i'm not bottling yet though.

I took readings over the next few days and they went... a little something... like this: 1.006, 1.004, 1.003, 1.002, 1.002. Woot! I hit the same grav reading over 24 hours, looking good. Its now been fermenting for 8 days. I will probably bottle it tomorrow.

It really does smell like lager now, flat lager, which I guess is good because its lager, and probably flat... It is also clearing nicely, it was milky, I would say hazy but it really was more milky than hazy, now its more cloudy than hazy, not super cloudy like the other day, I would say proper hazy. Easy enough to grasp :wha:

Anywho, it looks like this:

IMG_0060.jpg

Even the missus commented that it smelt ok (after previously telling me it reaks - but she is 'up the duff' so I attributed it to that rather than any direct stab at my brewing prowess). Sweet.

Sooo Tomorrow is bottling day - M6 traffic permitting. I am bottling into 2 ltr pop containers ( I couldn't stand to write bottles.. DAMN). They are washed clean so just need a rinsing with sanitizer and water.

As some may know I did go and get another kit, the price was too hard to resist, so I have 160 pints worth or lager to get through however I might try something else first, but thats for this weekend I think. I wouldn't mind something strong and tasty. I am a lager drinker really (boo hiss) but I am partial to Wobbly Bob so perhaps something like that... in kit form... :)

Hello, I work for Wilkinson and we had Youngs lager and bitter in, with the x2 cans. I paid £11 that's with discount. You did alright mate. These kits are super. I altered my bitters with a bit of Brazillian coffee. You can get drunk and sober up at the same time LOL. Your pictures and story are great. :lol: :cheers: Matey.

cheers Mr.Beerbelly, the price was, as they say, correct...right! The kit has been great so far but the proof will be in the pudding :)

Ok so, empty fermenting bucket = bottled!!

IMG_0064.jpg

It was rather scummy at the bottom so I left a fair amount in, that and I ran out of bottles, I am sure I had 10 2 litre bottles but seems like I didn't. It worked out well enough though, the smell was good while I bottled it, the brew is still very hazy - like say a freshly poured white beer. Bottling was actually extremely simple, I syphoned it out and when the bottle was full I simply used a small monkey wrench to pinch the pipe shut, all good and no mess. I do think I will get a tap or one of those clip pinch things though.

I took extra time putting labels on all the bottles....

IMG_0062.jpg

One short of 10 pins!

To use up more of the brew I did put some in cordial bottles but I fear these may not hold the carbonation and leak, so they are living in the cleaned out fermenting bucket for now.

IMG_0063.jpg

The tops are thick plastic but quite soft so I think that is where the problem will lie. Anyway I did a decent job with the labels.

Close up of the beer (in a clear bottle).

IMG_0065.jpg

Not sure if it should be this hazy or not, but no signs of bacteria or anything so it should be drinkable. Head looks good, might be talking about lacing :)

So, some vital stats:

FG was 1.002 which means it had been stable for 3 consecutive days. ABV at this stage is ((1.05 * ( 1.041 - 1.002 )) * 100)/0.79 = 5.18% which is pretty good (until someone tells me i'm not calculating it correctly).

I bottled 2 litres with 2 teaspoons of Tate & Lyle granulated sugar in each. I have used T&L granulated for all sugaring of this brew, people have told me (always after you do it..) that its best to use BKE or whatever but I wanted to use the basic recipe so I can compare and find what works for my taste when I change things in my next brews.

So, next phase is the drinking! 2 weeks of waiting. I didn't fancy having a taste of it while bottling, do people try it? I might go checking out any local brew shops and see what I can find, failing that I will see what takes my fancy online. I have 3 more lager kits to make but as I said previously I do fancy making something different.

If you have a second FV or can acquire some DJs or big mineral water jugs (trying not to say bot....damn it !The "B" word) its often worth syphoning your brew off the lees and into fresh containers with airlocks to let it rest and really give the bits a chance to settle .A week or 10 days of that somewhere cool-ish (not the local nite-spot :party: ) and THEN syphon off and you will find a big difference.Well worth the wait .

Of course ,Im sure you know this already and I do appreciate that you are doing the first batch straight to the instructions ,like a control group in a lab experiment ,and then starting to branch out on later brews . Thanks for taking the time and effort to put this up - its nice to see the basics covered . :clap:

That said ,I reckon you should get down the shops and buy some own brand fizzy water in 2 litre PET ,...um....flagons ,yes...flagons (phew!) and re-house those ones in the squash ...nearly had me there....the squashs' previous homes....especially if you primed them ! Keep ther clear bottles (bugger !bugger !) out of direct light as much as poss though !
;) :lol: looking forward to the follow up and variations on a theme....nice one ,mate ;)

What a bargain!!
I reckon those lager kits must have been priced up wrong though in your store.
That looks like the price for an extra couple of cans of the extract rather than the whole kit.

The Tesco home in Bristol has the kits for about £25!

Yeah it is rather cheap, it's not all grim up north :) Ha as a very interesting anecdote I used to work in Dundee and was referred to as a Southerner!

I think your right shocker, I will pop to ASDA (other shops are available) for some still (other types are available) water (other drinks are available), actually one of the 2lts ones is an ASDA brand Dandylion and Burdock, the cap on that is about half the height of a regular one so not 100% sure of that one either... The bottles I used as you can see are a mix bag of fizzy pop but the one I like most is the Vimto cordial bottle - has an almost European lager shape - just a pity its clear. I am not too bothered about glass bottles but I may buy some brown PET bottles at some point. Has anyone used those sediment catching bottle tops? They look pretty good.

I forgot to mention, my bucket clearly shows two distinct krausen rings. On the odd video I saw on YouTube they only seemed to produce one so I think that maybe my fermenting stalled after 2 or 3 days. I did think it had stopped initially as I said in the first post but the foam came back after I took the first SG reading but up to now it doesn't seem to have affected it, the SG at bottling stage was reasonable (in fact the instructions suggest an ABV of a paltry 4.8%).

So yeah, can't wait to take my first swig!

I think you may see a ring marking the top extent of the yeasts expansion and one around where it was working at the liquid surface ,or the meniscus of . Interesting that this appears to be a top working yeast as lagers strictly speaking should be working on the bottom even if they do have some top frothing .May be that the kit comes with a general purpose beer yeast that is top working to speed things up a bit .If this is the case ,and I may very well be wrong (often am to others delight !) then that there is one of the variations you could try ,a true lager yeast .

re : the B word - I wouldnt worry too much about colour of the PET so much as the ability to hold pressure .The ones for pop etc will hold up to 100psi ,which is way more than enough .Also they have nifty dimples in the base as a pressure stiffener which trap the sediment nicely .If you rest a beer then prime with a cook compacting yeast (something we have been discussing recently on another thread) then you will find the yeast etc trapped nicely in those dimples .

Ok so, its been bottled for almost 2 weeks (I couldn't hold out any longer) so I poured a quick bit of the beer for a taste test.

Now, this is 2 weeks bottled at 18 - 21 degrees and is going to go in my car hole which is now at a balmy 6 degrees... I think it fluctuates between that and about 12 degrees depending on what Mother Nature decides we need.

Now some of you may recall my trepidation about putting them in cordial bottles. Well, the results are a little odd... AS these are small bottles (1 litre) I opened one a few days ago because it didn't feel pressurised. A quick sip and it was flat, well not completely flat, something like a, hmm I dunno really, semi-flat beer. It tasted strong and a little yeasty. Not wanting to give up on it I threw in another teaspoon of sugar and closed it up.

Today it feels nicely pressurised, so maybe there is hope for the plucky little chap yet.

Anywho, back to the 2 litre brigade. Looks clear enough in the bottle, nice "scchhhhhhu" when I opened it, bit of smoke from the neck :thumb: Poured with a big head.

Looked like this:

IMG_0070.jpg

Lovely and clear, nice head and a bit of lacing (after I drank it). I am not sure what good lacing actually relates to, but it looks pretty... It tastes strong still, like you can actually taste a bit of alcohol, and still has a yeasty twang or something. It is also a bit thin, but tastes like lager, I guess it tastes like that one "bad pint" you have that leaves you on the phone to huey!

So, with any luck it will taste better in a week or so.

In the meantime I went to a local homebrew shop (missus in tow! she doesn't seem to mind it). I got some BKE, carbonation drops (just to rule out any inconsistencies really) and some cascade hops that I plan to dry hop in one of my next brews.

Probably get those on tomorrow :)

Hey guys, sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I just got myself one of these kits yesterday and had my first ever brew day.

Things seem to be going well (from what I can tell - I don't know much lol). Can anybody provide any tips/advise for this kit?
I did notice that the lid 'leaks' a little at the point where the handle is secured.

Just stick to the intructions mate. This was my 1st kit and it was fantastic. Im on my 4th kit now and got another can of youngs lager so might just do that again. Stick to the instructions to get an idea of what it tastes like and then start chopping and changing on your next attempt. :cheers:

I've just brewed this kit and I would deffo recommend swapping out 500g of the sugar for 500g of lightly hopped spraymalt (ebay)

I would also add more than the recommended half teaspoon of priming sugar for a 500ml bottle - i'd put 2/3 of a teaspoon in a 500ml bottle for decent carbonation

Thanks guys. I'm 4 days into it.

Strangely it started to ferment the 2nd day (more accurately the 1st night and 2nd day), then the krausen disappeared on me.
I'm now (4 days in) down from ~1032 to 1002 and she doesn't taste too bad - I can definitely pick up the lager taste in it.

I reckon I'm gonna batch prime this. Any advice on how much sugar for the batch prime? (about 23ltr brew).
Could I batch prime with spraymalt since I missed it in the fermentation stage?

Prime with regular sugar - I'd go with about 100g of normal granulated on a 23l batch (85 is just not enough and 120 was too much).

I've made the Youngs lager with both regualr sugar and BKE and honestly I can't say it made a humoungous difference.

Great - cheers for that :cheers:

...on a side note, I always look for a +1 button on here to says thanks for the info.
Think I need to stop hanging out in Google Plus so much lol

Hey,

The first batch pretty much all went, there were a couple of bottles left 1/4 full etc and I didn't fancy the milky contents after the sediment at the bottom was disturbed so moved onto the next bottle (and repeat).

It was ok but not good enough to stop my buying beer....

I made another batch but using BKE instead of Tate&Lyle, I also used those coopers carbonation drops (they were on sale at the brewing shop).

This was a little better, certainly it felt thicker and had more flavour. When I say thicker I mean.... like the difference between vimto and ribena, you know what I mean :whistle:

Disappointingly they both shared a rather, well, I guess its whats referred to as that "homebrew twang". My cousin also got the same kit and his tasted identical so either a) thats what they taste like. b) the malt extract is not that fresh or c) its the yeast.

I have not touched the second batch for a few months now so maybe it has improved (the first batch was all done in a week or so), I will sample some tonight.

I got some hops for the next one... :)

Back