Young's Super Yeast Compound Alcohol Tolerance

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moley

Regular.
Reaction score
Does anybody know what these yeasties are truly capable of?

HLA91 was asking questions about Wheat & Raisin wine, I'd got a bag of wheat and a few bags of raisins so I thought I'd tag along.

500g Wheat, soaked overnight, water retained and added.
Minced together with 1kg Raisins (containing 693g sugar)
1 litre White Grape Juice (containing 151g sugar)
1 tbsp Citric Acid
1 tsp Amylase
Young's SYC + Nutrient

1.1kg sugar added giving 1944g total for 5 litres = 389g/litre, OG 1.140

Water to just under 6 litres.

Stirred regularly.

Temperature has been reasonable but not excessive.

I've just strained it to a PET, squeezed the pulp pretty dry and got exactly my 5 litres.

I weighed the pulp at 840g because I thought I would have to deduct some sugars removed.

Well roger me sideways, THERE'S NO SUGAR LEFT! :wha:

SG 1.000 :eek:

140 points dropped in 10 days :shock:

19% abv already :party: :drunk:

I'll repeat the question, does anybody know what these yeasties are truly capable of?

Bloody hell Moley, what an achievement :clap: .

Sorry I can't help with your question but I have never heard of Young's Super Yeast going any higher than about 16% ABV.

Have you had a sneaky taste yet ?. It sounds like your brew is going to need some serious maturation.

Once again mate :clap:

aneray said:
Have you had a sneaky taste yet ?. It sounds like your brew is going to need some serious maturation.
Of course I've had a little sip from the trial jar, tastes rather warming.

This is going to be pretty awesome if I can manage to keep any back until next Christmas.

I think it might have to go into half bottles.

BTW, I don't mean this Christmas 2011, I mean next Christmas 2012, although some preliminary testing will be required.

I think I might have to start off another.

I got it 23% It seemed to stop around 20% but adding more nutrient got it going again. It might go higher but that's where I stopped.

Latest posts

Back