Youngs wine yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kate

Reaction score
I just popped out to get wine yeast and picked up a tub called youngs wine yeast.

Now I've got home and looked again, I realised it doesn't specify if its for red or white wine. Is it for both?!

Cheers

Yes, it's for both and it'll do both with acceptable results. BUT, if you want to make a white wine, a dedicated white wine yeast e.g. for Chardonnay or Champagne will make a cleaner, crisper, fresher tasting white. I've used Young's to make perfectly good blackberry wine, elderberry wine, cider and many different fruit juice WOWs.

I don't use it anymore.

I made one good WOW with it and everything since has been a nightmare, getting stuck before it finishes etc.

I buy the specific yeast for the wine now, seems to be working out better. I guess in time (when I have more time) I'll culture them on and not have to buy everytime...

I use Youngs Wine Yeast, Super Wine Yeast Compound in all my wow variants and they always finish, i also add one tsp of nutrient to the gallon.

6515x.jpg

I managed to get some more elderberries so I used it in a 5l batch of that. Will be interested to see if there's a difference in my 2 batches of elderberry wine with the different yeasts used then.

Back