Your favourite crystal / cara etc and why?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
As per title.

What do prefer and why?

Ive been experimenting a lot recently but there are so many out there ive not tried, Id like to see what others preferences are.

Special b is one I want to try. Used carapils in a barley wine to reduce the amount of cloying I would have got if I had used just crystal, wasn't to impressed to begin with as i felt it lacked a bit of body, but now after 2 yrs it is a wonderful brew, but I am still undecided to whether I would use it, probably try Special B next time. :thumb:

Ive used special b for the first time last week. Awaiting the results :cheers:

Ive always used pale crystal in my lighter pales and ipas but I think I may give carapils a go next time.

I don't use any crystals in pales though i do use rolled oats (obviously not toasted) which adds a pleasant sweetness to the beer. :thumb:

Munich. Used in pale ales and IPA's 1kg in the place of 1kg of maris otter in a 5G batch adds greater depth of flavour and maltiness to help balance the hops.

I've bought enough in to do a pale ale that's just 95% munich and 5% wheat malt to see if this is too far or will be even better. It's my next brewday but i've not got enough time for a brew day for a few weeks yet.

I've used crystal rye malt in a lot of beers (for over 10years) and it's pretty good at giving beers a biscuity flavour esp. Scottish Ales. It's pretty good in American amber and saisons too.

Just gived the beer a bit of colour and another dimension.

Latest posts

Back