Is a Fast Ferment any good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's annoying to say the least! Hopefully it will change soon though.

Well done to your friend though, sounds like he's doing very well!

It's exciting because it's just started. So it's like getting a chance to be one of the first to get craft beer going. My good friend open a brewery near my town at about 10 million dollars. Put everything in it. And he's still growing.
However, homebrewing is still illegal so you have to tread lightly.

that's staggering that homebrewing is illegal in Japan,i was there in 84 and all their beer was same old same old I think it was Suntory and no matter if you had a light colored or dark colored Suntory it had the very same taste :lol:

It's all lager. But now craft beer is growing. But the big guys want to crush it. They put out a few but it's not the same.

It's arrived! I'm really over excited now, more than I should be. I'm gonna brew on Thursday, will do a batch I've done previously so I have something to compare it to, and something on the lighter side so it ferments and conditions quicker. The next brew will be this 7% highly hopped British IPA which will be further dry hopped and conditioned with oak chips, using some Fuller's yeast I harvested from the bottle.

My brew assistant Archduke helping me unpack the FF.

IMG_20160614_150418.jpg

that's staggering that homebrewing is illegal in Japan,i was there in 84 and all their beer was same old same old I think it was Suntory and no matter if you had a light colored or dark colored Suntory it had the very same taste :lol:

I think us HBer's in the UK are a bit spoiled in that we can make as much beer/wine as we like. A while back a forumite detailed what other countries allow there HBers (if at all) to make. Like you I was staggered by the restrictions some countries put on the amounts your allowed to produce. I nievely thought most countries are like the UK and allow you to make as much as you like as long as your not selling it

The States I think is 200 gallons a year per person up to 400 for a house (spouse included).

Trying to work something out here, I brewed a beer on Thursday and pitched lager yeast into the FF but there is no action on the airlock. No bubbling at all, but shining a torch on the FF it looks like there is krousen on the bottom, which would suggest fermentation.

The lid is on tight and even if it's not airtight, there would still be CO2 coming through the bubbler. I'm quite confused about this.

Trying to work something out here, I brewed a beer on Thursday and pitched lager yeast into the FF but there is no action on the airlock. No bubbling at all, but shining a torch on the FF it looks like there is krousen on the bottom, which would suggest fermentation.

The lid is on tight and even if it's not airtight, there would still be CO2 coming through the bubbler. I'm quite confused about this.

And you won't get airlock action no matter how you try as they ain't air tight,I even purchased and added another O ring on top of the flat one in the cap to no avail...all in my review of them

And you won't get airlock action no matter how you try as they ain't air tight,I even purchased and added another O ring on top of the flat one in the cap to no avail...all in my review of them

I'm not too bothered about that. It's closed enough and there should be airlock activity.

After a bit more research I think it hasn't started fermentation yet. Using this yeast at this temperature, apparently it can lead to a 3 day delay. I'll wait until tomorrow to see what happens.

I'm not too bothered about that. It's closed enough and there should be airlock activity.

After a bit more research I think it hasn't started fermentation yet. Using this yeast at this temperature, apparently it can lead to a 3 day delay. I'll wait until tomorrow to see what happens.
If memory serves I think Flash another forum member also has one and also commented that you can't get airlock activity,so the best of luck with that then

GD you are not the only one not seeing airlock activity, from our sister site -

So I put my first batch in the conical last night and pitched this morning. This evening, there is a steady stream of bubbles coming up and breaking on the surface of the wort ( it looks like the ferment is starting either in the ball at the bottom or at the bottom of the cone).

So far, it seems pretty nice however I do have a bit of confusion. There is no airlock activity at all, but the top is screwed on tight ( and the gasket is in there). Has anyone else started fermenting in it and have you had any issues getting the top to seal up? Given the stream of bubbles, the gas is getting out somewhere and around the top is pretty much the only other option.

Did you seal the threads on top with teflon tape ?

Sure enough that was the problem. I put one of the rolls of tape on it and now it Is bubbling away like mad.

ive done it all to try and get the thing airtight although it doesn't really matter as 02 wont get in thru the cap anyway.i done the extra 0 ring on top of the supplied one and even used nearly a roll of PTFE around the thread on the neck but to no avail.im afraid its never gonna be 100% airtight

Looks like they have sorted it with the new version.

One thing i saw when searching was a guy saying one design flaw is when you replace the sediment trap for secondary air goes through your beer when you open the tap, could this be a problem?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuwcK9iwkiY[/ame]

that is the very same model I have.i don't think it matters that you get a little bit of 02 when you disconnect and reconnect the bottle,i think folk are a little too paranoid at times,but I certainly cant get the airlock to bubble and im up to around 11 brews in it now,just a comfort thing hearing it plopping and knowing when fermentation is drawing to an end

There goes my theory :lol:

I thought you may have this one with the smaller opening as he says "this one has the big screw top 6 inches instead of the small cap they had before"

vvessellrg_866.gif

nope its the same as that video and as Flash said you screw the large cap on tight as you can and you will have big trouble removing it without help as its far too big a cap (bigger than a KK cap) to grab hold of and turn unles you have hands the size of dinner plates :eek:

With mine there's definitely fermentation happening now and a clear ring of krousen around the top of the beer, but not any airlock activity really. The water in the bubbler is being pushed but hasn't got to bubbling yet, but there's definitely a smell of wort coming from around the lid.

The lid is a bit tricky to do up tight, and after this brew I will try putting ptfe around the lid to see if that causes bubbling. It's a good feature to have to see how fermentation is coming along.

Latest posts

Back