Biab to grainfather differences?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrissparky

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi
I'm currently saving for a grainfather, I like the look of this bit of kit. How much difference would I expect to my beer moving to this from biab. I've done about 10 biab brews and will be bottling/minikeg my first brew after making a fermentor fridge this week. So that should be a good improvement already.
Thanks

I can't really help with the GF but what it does is great for improving your beer. The biggest is recirculating mash. That really utilizes the grain as well as clear it up. Maintaining a constant temp is the other and probably the most important part of good quality beer. Remember beer is what the yeast does to the different kinds of sugars in the wort. If you want good beer you have to give the yeast the right materials to do the job. And the materials are a specific kind of sugars. All sugars are not equal. Most sugars will work but the yeast will have to do extra steps to get there and that means extra, sometimes unwanted esters.

Having moved from kits with the odd partial mash to the grainfather I have no in-between experience, all I can say is that its an easy system to brew with, the connect / app work really well if you can maintain Bluetooth connectivity. The beer I make with it is great, definitely a cut above extract. Get one

Don't expect a big difference in your beer going from BIAB to all-in-one. Better mash temperature control, clearer wort, perhaps more consistent efficiencies. These are minor things. Do expect your brew day to be quicker, easier and tidier.

I chose the GF because I have limited space, 'er in doors won't let me brew in the kitchen and so I have a shed and the garden patio under a canopy. The GF requires less than two square meters of floor space.

As I have mentioned before in other posts, the single biggest improvement on my beer production is fermentation temperate control. The brewfridge is an essential for me and for the cost per pint is a no brainier.

Go for the GF, as Iain says it's quicker, easier and tidier.

I love mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to do a mash with the grain inside a bag in a Bruheat boiler back in the 80's. I now have the Grainfather and I get a much higher efficiency with it over the old system and it's a lot easier to use. A big improvement all round.

Thanks for the replies, I'll consider what to do as £650 is a lot of malt and hops. Although I'll probably end up with one in the end

Thanks for the replies, I'll consider what to do as �£650 is a lot of malt and hops. Although I'll probably end up with one in the end

If you can make decent beer with stove top stuff and a BIAB kit, it is very difficult to justify a GF on cost grounds alone.

I like mine because it is easier to make a brew with few incidents, permitting incidentals like ironing, bottling, racking, or generally playing with beer stuff. And also it is possible to easily do daft things like Parti-gyle or Re-iterated mashing. :thumb:

I would suggest carrying on until the urge is irresistible. Once you get into the mashing grains thing you are most of the way there, for mine.

I don't own a Grainfather and it's maybe 2 years away (want to build a brew pub first) but I keep an eye on Grainfather threads as I will get one some day.

This is interesting reading and maybe go somewhat to justify the costs:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63155

Clear wort, temperature control and efficiency may seem the main advantages but it's the all in one system that sells it for me.

Latest posts

Back