out of date malts and hops, would you use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disasterjustavoided

Reaction score
Found some hops and malts at the back of my cupboard all past the exp dates at the most 6 months at the least 2 months. Hops are still vacum packed, would you risk using them?

Malts too some have been opened and some are 2 years past exp date. All hops and malts have been in a cool dark cupboard for this time.

Would you chuck and buy more? Seems a bit of a waste, but don't really want to have a substandard brew for the sake of penny pinching.

Should all be fine shouldn't it? You can make an adjustment for the age of the hops - you'll probably just need to use a bit more...?

After hammering google, it would seem that the grains should keep but will have to give the hops a smell and see if they still have an aroma Perhaps use just for bittering hops and use 10% more.

Should I make a Yorkshire Bitter and send it up to BB ;)

Hops go brown when they're off. If they still smell good and appear green, use them. It's worth noting that the alpha acids decay over time, so it may be worth overshooting your bitterness slightly!

Most things carry an expiry date because they have to, not because that's when they're really off.

disasterjustavoided said:
Should I make a Yorkshire Bitter and send it up to BB ;)

Don't tell him that, he will pester you forever. I've used unopened vac pack hops long past a year and open malts long their sell by dates, and I'm not a tight a*se Yorkshireman.

Well to get back to this, I did use the out of date grains and found the beer to be thin and certinaly not the greatest I've made. The vac packed hops have been fine and are now sitting in the freezer. The speciality grains were fine but the pale ale malt that's 2 years out of date. Well, possibly too much to ask!

Latest posts

Back