Which Hops would you never use again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any hops you have used and will never use again and why?
Hope this thread will help some newer brewers and maybe a few of us oldies

Target.

I wouldn't say never, but I'd be very selective in the beers I used it in, as it imparts quite a distinctive slightly-unpleasant flavour (to me anyway). I looked up the least-liked beers of my youth and all of them used Target for bittering. Not that common these days, although works well in Wye Valley HPA if used sparingly.

I like Target maybe it is down to how peoples taste works but I have done a few beers with target in and not as a bittering hop

Again I have done a single Sabro hop and it was very fruity and pleasant.
Really strange how different brewers rate different hops

Again I have done a single Sabro hop and it was very fruity and pleasant.
Really strange how different brewers rate different hops
Absolutely.

The first time I had a pint of it, I thought it tasted of garlic and struggled to finish it. My friend had the same beer, two pints poured consecutively off the same tap, and absolutely loved it. He conpletely disagreed when I said it tasted horrible.

I suppose it’s the same with coriander leaves. I hate it when restaurants garnish curries with it, to me it tastes like soap, my wife’s taste perception is completely different.

I suppose it’s the same with coriander leaves. I hate it when restaurants garnish curries with it, to me it tastes like soap, my wife’s taste perception is completely different.
I have a friend who's the same with coriander leaves. She can taste it through anything, despises the flavour and also says it tastes like soap.

I have a similar thing with cucumber. Can taste it through everything else and hate the stuff

Absolutely.

The first time I had a pint of it, I thought it tasted of garlic and struggled to finish it. My friend had the same beer, two pints poured consecutively off the same tap, and absolutely loved it. He conpletely disagreed when I said it tasted horrible.

I think hops can taste different when used at different stages of the brew too.
I generally especially with American Pales and IPA's only whirlpool I wonder if boiling some hops for longer brings out certain flavours, Summit had a bad rap with onion/garlic but again I have only whirlpooled and never had it with mine

Mosaic. Which is a pity because I love it. But I have had two infected batches and both had a heavy dose of mosaic. Also, at exactly the same time, I had two different shop bought beers that were mosaic heavy and one was well funky tasting, the other was undrinkable. Bad crop? Coincidence? Whatever it was, I haven't used it since and am reluctant to use it ever again.

Wait for a new crop Phildo I would give it another chance you are probably right looks like a bad batch/crop

Well Sabro is getting a drubbing by the look of it
It does say that Sabro is a for late hop use to get the best flavours so I wonder if it is being used in the boil early on and this may be giving off other flavours not desired?

I have a friend who's the same with coriander leaves. She can taste it through anything, despises the flavour and also says it tastes like soap.

I have a similar thing with cucumber. Can taste it through everything else and hate the stuff

And me, I have to chop cucumber on another chopping board otherwise I can taste it on everything else that i've chopped up.

Well Sabro is getting a drubbing by the look of it
It does say that Sabro is a for late hop use to get the best flavours so I wonder if it is being used in the boil early on and this may be giving off other flavours not desired?
I'm quite surprised at the negative sabro vibes. I love it in a single hop pale ale.

Not saying I wouldn't use it again, but I recently brewed with Superdelic and was quite disappointed with the results.

Latest posts

Back