UK Homebrewing Magazine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've mentioned hop reviews and profiles, but I reckon it's important to include the same for grain too. Comparison of different maltsters versions of the same thing. What adding a little of something can add to a brew, so on and so forth.

All sounds good so far though.

Another name; You Can Brew It

You've mentioned hop reviews and profiles, but I reckon it's important to include the same for grain too. Comparison of different maltsters versions of the same thing. What adding a little of something can add to a brew, so on and so forth.

All sounds good so far though.

Another name; You Can Brew It

Good point and like the name BUT already a homebrew shop called that :doh:

I do think you need to contact potential advertisers. Home brew shops, Manufacturers, perhaps even micro brewers. it would offset some costs and give you an in to get kits for reviews free of charge. Networking could be the key.

Absolutely, for any sort of longevity this will be crucial. Will start putting together a list of possible advertisers asap :thumb:

Thats some good stuff andy thanks, funnily enough I had a 'Kit corner' listed on a few regular section ideas as well. The big question is what should it be called best I have come up with is 'Brew it Yourself' but I know that there is already a book out with that title so not sure if that creates any possible copyrighting issues

NU-Brew?

You brew!

B-I-Y
(brew-it-yourself)

Great idea. I scoured the racks in a WH Smith's a while back looking for something to read on the train. Whilst digital is obviously the easiest way to go there's something about having a glossy mag to read :-)

I'm sure we could all contribute to the content.

Maybe collecting water reports and listing them on a map would be a good idea to.

Great idea. I scoured the racks in a WH Smith's a while back looking for something to read on the train. Whilst digital is obviously the easiest way to go there's something about having a glossy mag to read :-)

I'm sure we could all contribute to the content.

Maybe collecting water reports and listing them on a map would be a good idea to.

Like the water report idea that could be a really good resource or feature.

I do agree with you on the benefit of a paper edition but small run printing costs seem prohibitively expensive so would need some sort of established readership first. I find that digital magazines never really work that well visually due to the scaling down to fit digital devices plus I am always a bit twitchy using phone or tablets near big vessels of boiling wort!

I do think you need to contact potential advertisers. Home brew shops, Manufacturers, perhaps even micro brewers. it would offset some costs and give you an in to get kits for reviews free of charge. Networking could be the key.

May be a good idea to offer a slot to a local micro who can post one of their recipes for homebrewers to follow as Brewdog have done. This would give them advertising and may increase their sales of the chosen beer and give access to professional recipes.

Would also like to see the equivalent of a brewday in the forum. A pictorial record of a brew with equipment used and comments. You could have a sort of standardised format for example
Picture of setup, recipe and then follow the brew through with the option of maybe sharing a few bottles locally to other readers for review?

Last suggestion for a name Brew At Home or BAH! for short

The name thing is really starting to annoy me now, lots of great suggestions above but almost all of them clash with an existing company/website! What about something a bit more abstract The Trub perhaps?? or just go simple Homebrewer Magazine?

Simple is good; UK Homebrewing, Hobbybrew, something like that... as long as the tone of the magazine reflects the sober title. So if you are going for a serious/factual format like Practical Electronics or something like that, then stick with a sober name. If however you want to make it a bit more modern or embracing some of the new schools of thought about brewing and what you can/can't put into or do with beer, then maybe something a bit more unusual is more suited. I'm not saying I have a preference one way or the other here, but if you call the magazine Homebrewing Digest, then the tone of the magazine is all "who says you can't brew with pickled onions" and "your top tips on making a wheat beer that tastes like Angel Delight", the tone and title are mismatched and the title should be more along the lines of The Trub or Vorlauf Apocalypse!

Apologies for no help whatsoever there!! Just my thoughts on it... :lol:

What about

Commercial beer is overpriced p*** water, brew your own for under 50p a pint, hobby comes with a free beer belly.

Second thoughts, it may be a bit long?

Latest posts

Back