What do you think of this pressure barrel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give Norman a shout (click on the links button)

Make sure you tell him that THBF sent you :thumb:

A cornie is better value but you can spend more to begin with because you need to get gas sorted out and some kind of tap etc. Having said that, I have seen cornies with the lids modified to take a standard S30 (??) pressurisation valve that are fitted to kegs like the one you show. That would be cheaper than buying a widget world gas system to go with the cornie.

I'd also recommend Norm, i bought all my kegs off him and he is a top guy. You only need to look at his feedback on e bay ;) And like Wez said don't forget to mention who sent you ;)

I've used these type of kegs for years in the past and they are ok for the price. Not as easy to clean due to the small cap. But you can take off the tap and get a brush inside. Anyway a good soak with a strong cleaning solution will sort it out. I now have a Brewmaster top tap. Thinking of getting a Cornie next...cheers

i've got two plastic youngs barrels.. never used them since i got 6 cornies. too much of a pain... plus one split under the pressure... leaked through the floor boards... spoiled the ceiling below and ruined the carpet on the ground floor. i wasn't amused :evil: they also seemed to either leak gas through the elastic band of a pressure release valve... never seemed right... i either got flat beer, or a keg about to burst!

wouldn't recommend them personally :(

get a cornie :thumb: you'll never regret it ;)

I wasn't going to buy any more cornies but received an email from Ebay telling me what Norm was selling and bagged a pair of these :- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0318217915 None left now unfortunately. :( There's no PRV on them but that's not an issue for me, just need to get some brewing done now! :) These two take my cornie haul to 7 x 19l and 2 x 9l kegs, they're multiplying!

When you need more, email Norm from the link ;) and mention us :thumb:

You never know he may do you a better deal :thumb:

I use cornie's cos i'm too lazy/busy/drunk to bottle my beers. I actually prefer the taste from bottled beer but cornies are SO easy. Dunno about that barrel thing-i recall BS having issues with his. I'd trust his advice there. :cool:

I just thought i'd reiterate going the cornie way.

I've used both bottles and pressure barrels and both were a proper pain in the ****. Cleaning and sterilising 40 bottles is a nightmare, and I've had all sorts of sealing and leaking problems with pressure barrels. Not to mention that I believe the plastic can give a certain taste to a beer. You can pour a much nicer pint from a cornie too as long as you're careful with the pressure. (NB: You can't get a good beer out unless you put a good beer in)

The only problem with cornies is that they breed like rabbits.

jamesb said:

:lol:

Can I have a couple of the little ones please :?:

Kingfisher said:
jamesb said:

:lol:

Can I have a couple of the little ones please :?:

Careful. You could get locked up for saying things like that. :D

It might be from January judging by the amount of people on here reaching for a towel everytime we see a picture of shiny.

I'm looking at a corny - it says "disconnects not included".

What exactly does that mean - is that the tap etc??

Also, without "disconnects" what should you expect to pay (2nd hand) for a corny? - and how much are the disconnects to buy seperately?

:grin:

pin locks are rarer than ball locks. most of us have ball locks ;)

cant help with pricing as it's been a while since i bought one, but if your in the market for a few then email norman numpa on ebay... he sometimes does things cheaper than what his items are listed for ;)

Cheers Brewstew,

I'm not planning on doing any massive beer brewing, its just when I do brew it, I'd like to keg it rather than bottle it. Its expensive to get hold of 30-40 bottles just for the odd beer brew!

I'll drop him a line and see what he says :)

Back