What do you think of this pressure barrel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's just down the A5, A38 from you ;) in Sutton Coldfield - he's always been willing to meet up with me somewhere :)

I cant remember exactly the area in SC that he lives but it's near Walmley :thumb:

crE said:
Also guys - do the beers need co2 injected into them? If so - how much are the co2 "canisters?" ?

You will need to inject CO2 in order to force the beer out. Normannumpa also sells full bottles of CO2 for a reasonable price (about 8 quid IIRC). If you get a CO2 cylinder, you will need a CO2 regulator too - Norman has some, also some people have used welding regulators.
Hope this helps.

There's also a away of doing it from the cheapo welding stuff from Halfords. I'll post details if you're interested.

Pub gas is the way to go though.

Just spoke to Norman, looks like a converted keg with co2 reg and canister will come to £120!! Wasnt expecting that much.

Do things like bitter and real ale need co2 injected? - Is co2 not just for fizziness?

Eeeeep! :eek:

PS - Also jamesb I'd definatly be interested!

crE said:
Just spoke to Norman, looks like a converted keg with co2 reg and canister will come to £120!! Wasnt expecting that much.

Do things like bitter and real ale need co2 injected? - Is co2 not just for fizziness?

If you prime the cornie then you might just get enough pressure to get your beer out providing you don't want to draw too many pints each night (i.e. you will need to leave time for the pressure to increase again).

If you are any good at DIY, you could go a cheaper route. Get a standard cornie and then drill a hole in the lid - then fit a injector/safety valve. You can get the valves for a couple of quid (Budget barrel lid with valve fitted which you could scavenge).

Once you have done that, you have the choice of buying S30 style cylinders which simply screw on when you want to gas it up or alternatively if you have a source of SodaStream cylinders then you could buy an adapter to use those.
If you already have a SodaStream bottle or can get one from Freecycle or somewhere then for less than fifteen quid you have a simple gas system for a cornie :thumb:

Edit: If you happen to live near me, I have one or two spare SodaStream bottles you can have.

Edit2: Beware of that first link I posted, the cost of the valve is extra :roll: - I'm sure you can get the valves for a few quid though - can't remember where...

crE said:
PS - Also jamesb I'd definatly be interested!

Apologies for the link to the other place, but I'm not typing it all out again!

clicky

This is what I currently use. I've got a pub gas bottle now but no regulator yet.

Works quite well. It's just a pity Halfords have put their prices up since.

So is 100+ about the going rate to set up a Cornie? I'm not that keen on using my KK top taps, but they are reliable, and cheaper.

I also tend to make smaller, stronger brews of about 15ish L so a 19L cornie would suit grand, plus take up very little room, and be very shiny :shock:

So am I looking at at least 60+ a time?

KP - welcome to the forum.

Re KK top taps - I use those hooked up to a beer engine with a widget world system, I have six of them that work really well cost wise:

Beer Engine - £45
WW system ~£80
Check Valve £15
Beer Line ~£10

£150 set up handpulled beer lovliness :thumb:

Cheers Wez, I like your style with the KK setup, but I am currently happy just filling my old Charles Wells beer trug straight from the tap. ;)

Was just considering Cornies if the price wasn't as I expected! I mean shiny cant mean gotta have, can it? :?

My view on brewing is spend what you can afford, brew how you want to brew & produce the best beer you can on what you have.

Latest posts

Back