Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White grape juice and apple/raspberry and White grape juice and apple/pear ready to bottle, i said in the original post that we hadn't tried the WGJ and apple/pear combination before, the good news is it turned out well.

20141025_175909.jpg

Looks great! Is that a mixed juice Chippy? White grape, apple, raspberry in same carton? How many cartons did you use?

Looks great! Is that a mixed juice Chippy? White grape, apple, raspberry in same carton? How many cartons did you use?

DJ 1

1 litre White grape juice

1 litre apple/raspberry juice

--------------------------------

DJ 2

1 litre White grape juice

1 litre apple/pear juice

We got some from asda, I rarely make anything with WGJ now preferring RGJ so am not aware of any shortage of WGJ.

Where are you tracking down the white grape juice Chippy?
Ive hunted every shop for miles and cant find it anywhere. :doh:

Just bought a few litres of white grape juice from Waitrose (£1.75 a litre). You can also order it from Amazon at £18.30 for 8 litres. Other than that there isn't much about.

Waitrose also sell merlot grape juice in cartons. Has anyone tried using that? I reckon it should give better results than normal red grape juice?!? but as I've not tried it I could well be wrong.

Last edited:
Used a recipe from Chippy_Tea's opening post (but used Lidl's equivalent juices instead) and it turned out to be be a best wine I've drunk to date (for a rose) taste wise. Used all the ingredients from that post but added a raspberry hint using a Polish
Lowicz Malina from TESCO, 100ml added prior to fermentation and another 100ml after stabilising but just before clearing to reduce the dryness and add colour and some sweetnes (not much though , just to balance the dryness)+ a good table spoon of glycerine in the gallon when bottling. Its a v.good wine, my missus agrees and trust me she aint easy to please. Turns out a Lidl Vitafit juices (100% red grapes and 100% apple)are as good as other more established
brands from other shops I would be happy to make 5 gal. of this next time but need to try other recipes first .
RR
Anyway, got my Supermarket juice wine done+ my experimental ( easily makes my top 3 of the wines I've ever drunk(( see the sig) and a stash of beer ready and I'm looking forward to my 40'th now.. hell I could cater for a weeding not a lousy birthday now ;)

Hi,

Fermentation stage had been reached for 2 of the first 6 demijohns of WoW variants and from the initial taster when syphoning i may not need to buy petrol for the car anymore ;) but i am sure it will improve.

I added the cambden tablet (youngs), degassed and then added a teaspoon of stabiliser (Wilko). However after reading the ingredients of both of these, they both contain "Sodium Metabisulphate". Is this usual or have i doubled up (will this need to be thrown away). Appreciate all your input especially Chippy who has done an amazing job assisting everyone on this thread.:hat:

Can I jump in with a quick question for chippy too :ugeek:

How long do you reckon a WOW (eg RGJ and Apple/Rasp) takes from start to bottling up ?

Hi,

Fermentation stage had been reached for 2 of the first 6 demijohns of WoW variants and from the initial taster when syphoning i may not need to buy petrol for the car anymore ;) but i am sure it will improve.

Could you explain what you mean by "Fermentation stage had been reached" do you mean it has stopped bubbling completely or its below .994?

I added the cambden tablet (youngs), degassed and then added a teaspoon of stabiliser (Wilko). However after reading the ingredients of both of these, they both contain "Sodium Metabisulphate". Is this usual or have i doubled up (will this need to be thrown away). Appreciate all your input especially Chippy who has done an amazing job assisting everyone on this thread.

I have just checked and my youngs stabiliser is E202 potassium sorbate, the youngs campden tablets are Sodium Metabisulphate

Can I jump in with a quick question for chippy too :ugeek:

How long do you reckon a WOW (eg RGJ and Apple/Rasp) takes from start to bottling up ?

It all depends on the temperature where its fermenting.

I normally allow 2 weeks for fermentation to finish then it needs a week for the yeast too clean up after itself (do not skip this stage as you may regret it) then a couple of days for clearing once transferred to a clean DJ.

In summer fermentation may only take 7 days so you could in theory have it in the bottle 16 days after starting but at this time of year it will take longer.

A hydrometer takes the guess work out and allows you to work out the alcohol content, definitely worth the small price of £3.50.

Hi chippy. Sorry i should have been clearer.hydrometer was 0.994 and bubbles stopped so I racked. Stabiliser contains sodium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate. Cambden tablets contains sodium metabisulphate and polethylene glycol. Because looks like both contain sodium metabisulphite do you think it will still be drinkable?

I just use the wilko stabiliser as it contains both like you say, never used a campden tab aswell.

Hi chippy. Sorry i should have been clearer.hydrometer was 0.994 and bubbles stopped so I racked. Stabiliser contains sodium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate. Cambden tablets contains sodium metabisulphate and polethylene glycol. Because looks like both contain sodium metabisulphite do you think it will still be drinkable?

I guess there is only one way to find out.

I have read some members don't use campden tablets so next time as Hitman says just use the Stabiliser and see how it goes.

Thanks all. Not sure if should drink now though. Hmmmmmm. Anybody want some WoW cheap ;)

Thanks all. Not sure if should drink now though. Hmmmmmm. Anybody want some WoW cheap ;)

Food additive

It is used as a preservative and antioxidant in food and is also known as E223.

It may cause allergic reactions in those who are sensitive to sulfites, including respiratory reactions in asthmatics, anaphylaxis and other allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.

Sodium metabisulfite and potassium metabisulfite are the primary ingredients in Campden tablets, used for wine and beer making.

The acceptable daily intake is up to 0.7 mg per kg of body weight, Sodium metabisulfite has no side effects, it is oxidised in the liver to harmless sulfate and excreted in urine.

Two teasoons per gallon. Does that sound ok?. I just googled too and it says 10g is a lethal dose. Happy halloween all btw

I have never used Wilko stabiliser so don't know how much you should use, what does it say on the tub?

Hi all.
If you look at wine kits, they don't usually come with campden tablets, and my most recent kit tells you only to add one if you are going to keep the wine for more than 6 months. So in that respect, it is being used as a preservative. It is different from a stabiliser, even though the ingredients are similar, or similar sounding!

So I would say if you're making a gallon of anything, you won't need one because you will drink it in less than 6 months!

Just my 2p worth.

Andy

Latest posts

Back