TalkTalk and Post Office routers hit by cyber-attack

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I lost my connection for about 5 minutes earlier i didn't think anything of it at the time but have just read this on the BBC Site -

_92792311_mediaitem92792307.jpg

Thousands of TalkTalk and Post Office customers have had their internet access cut by an attack targeting certain types of internet routers.
A spokeswoman for the Post Office told the BBC that the problem began on Sunday and had affected about 100,000 of its customers.
Talk Talk also confirmed that some of its customers had been affected, and it was working on a fix.
It is not yet known who is responsible for the attack.
Earlier in the week, Germany's Deutsche Telekom revealed that up to 900,000 of its customers had lost their internet connection as a result of the attack.

It involves the use of a modified form of the Mirai worm - a type of malware that is spread via hijacked computers, which causes damage to equipment powered by Linux-based operating systems.
Mirai was also involved in an earlier attack that caused several of the world's leading websites to become inaccessible, including Spotify, Twitter and Reddit.
Several models of router are vulnerable to the latest cyber-assault, including the Zyxel AMG1302, which is used by the Post Office.
"We would like to reassure customers that no personal data or devices have been compromised," said the Post Office's spokeswoman.
"We have identified the source of the problem and implemented a resolution which is currently being rolled out to all customers.
"For those customers who are still having problems, we are advising them to reboot their router."
Doing so causes the machine to make use of updated software.

The same router is also used by Kcom, an internet service provider (ISP) based in Hull, whose customers have also been affected.
"The vast majority of our customers are now able to connect to and use their broadband service as usual," the firm said in a statement.
"Our core network was not affected at any time and we have put in place measures to block future attacks from impacting our customers' routers and their ability to access the internet."
Attack widens
TalkTalk also confirmed that its D-Link DSL-3780 routers were affected but said only a small percentage of its customers used them.
"Along with other ISPs in the UK and abroad, we are taking steps to review the potential impacts of the Mirai worm," a spokeswoman said in a statement.
"We have deployed additional network-level controls to further protect our customers."
Security researchers had previously suggested that the routers were vulnerable to the Mirai malware.
One expert warned there could be worse to come.
"The next step for attackers could be to hack into other home devices once they gain access to the router, like web cams, smart TVs, or thermostats," said Pavel Sramek from the cybersecurity firm Avast.

Strange this as it coincided which the start of the so called snoopers charter, where your isp must record all your internet traffic and sites all the time and store for over a year. Plus youe mobile companies must do the same and record calls and numbers made for a year. I'm wondering if Talktalk/post office were geared up for this change, as usually tt are rarely prepared and are also prone to being hacked which story is true?

My goodness there are a lot of cynical people on this Forum ... :doh:

... and I'm one of 'em! :thumb: :thumb:

I get my new TT Router in the next few days after it started delivering extremely slow performance. (Like now where I have that horrible spinning rainbow disc!) TT put it down to the age of the Router (+/- three years) but I only half believe them! :whistle: :whistle:

My goodness there are a lot of cynical people on this Forum ... :doh:

... and I'm one of 'em! :thumb: :thumb:

I get my new TT Router in the next few days after it started delivering extremely slow performance. (Like now where I have that horrible spinning rainbow disc!) TT put it down to the age of the Router (+/- three years) but I only half believe them! :whistle: :whistle:
The routers that TT (and presumably other ISPs) hand out are rubbish. Having had problems with TT routers I bought my own Billion router (that's the manufacturer :whistle:). I now have a stable connection without problems plus I can tweak my own SNR setting if I want to do so (rather than waiting for TT help desk to 'optimise' i.e. f**k it up for me).

It's the thing with TT, they've had such bad press with previous hack's, could it be that they were not fully prepared for the change in data retention that came into force and if their security is not top notch storing data that goverment, councils and the Gambling Commission etc now have access to personal intusive data. Check these links out:

https://yiu.co.uk/blog/who-can-view-my-internet-history/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38130344

1984 (film) is now worse in 2016 (even celeb's get paid to have rats on face...lol)

I was tempted so I checked out a Billion Router on Amazon and it said it was like this ...

三介面為 +、/有線 接加之 障切換
岩石固體 Broadcom 晶片組與信噪比調整為最佳性能對 行
(,到戶,) 與高輸送量'千 , 備就
同時雙波段無線 與部天線對支樂隊更大覆"面'來"存

Actually it said this ...

Triple WAN interface for ADSL2+, Fibre/Cable or 3G/4G LTE connection plus failover between WANs
Rock solid Broadcom chipset with SNR adjustments for optimum performance on ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ lines
Fibre (FTTC, FTTP, FTTH) ready with high WAN throughput and Gigabit WAN and LAN, IPv6 ready
Simultaneous Dual Band Wireless (2.4 GHz and 5GHz) with external antennas for greater coverage and guest access on both bands

... but it may as well have been in Chinese for as much sense as it made to me even in English!

Even the title (Billion BiPAC 7800DXL Triple WAN Dual Band Wireless N Gigabit ADSL2+/Fibre 3G/4G LTE Broadband Router with USB Port) scared the living daylights out of me so I think I will just stay with TT ... :thumb:

... and my Cat's Whisker Radio of course! :whistle: :whistle:

TT should automatically supply customers with new routers if their supplied routers have a security problem. Least you know who's stealing your emails with that Billion router, luckily they can't all read English...lol :lol: Oh by the way Dutto wife said her grandfather in the last centuary also used to chase her around with a ducks quack :thumb:

What does this do to our right to privacy, how does it protect us from people who may want our private details ?

Many will say if you have nothing to hide then you shouldn't be worried - which to me just showing that they're buying into the bull**** from the media.

I wish I had left talktalk when given the opportunity after the last hack.

Not because of security issues. No, just because the equipment and customer service are dire.

I can't wait until the next price rise and I can jump ship.

I was tempted so I checked out a Billion Router on Amazon and it said it was like this ...... but it may as well have been in Chinese for as much sense as it made to me even in English!

Even the title (Billion BiPAC 7800DXL Triple WAN Dual Band Wireless N Gigabit ADSL2+/Fibre 3G/4G LTE Broadband Router with USB Port) scared the living daylights out of me so I think I will just stay with TT ... :thumb:.
I've got one of these, which are cheaper...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K6D2ESM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Go on spoil yourself!

I can't wait until the next price rise and I can jump ship.

I just talk to them and get a discount. And now, since my router works, I don't otherwise need to contact them.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the talk talk super router i received from them a while ago when my router started playing up (it occasionally wouldn't boot) the wireless signal is much better than the old one and i have had no problems at all.

8d34a87a-d0fc-4b64-943f-1f8c8eed2803.jpg

It's the 'super' router that is the main problem. Connected by wire 38mbps. Wireless 17mbps at best. A known problem with them.

Reading the talktalk forum, they send you a replacement, which is exactly the same, and if you complain enough times, you may be able to get out of your contract.

It's the 'super' router that is the main problem. Connected by wire 38mbps. Wireless 17mbps at best. A known problem with them.

Reading the talktalk forum, they send you a replacement, which is exactly the same, and if you complain enough times, you may be able to get out of your contract.

I have never seen a speed test close to 17 Mb/s (and i do keep my eye on thinkbroadband.com) so for non fibre BB the router is fine, i am connected by Ethernet cable to the PC and both tests are the same on this pc and my laptop (wireless)

Why do you assume Dutto wants to leave talk talk, if like me he has been a customer for years and is happy with the price and service why would he want to leave?

This is the ISP Unhappiness forum over at thinkbroadband , considering TT have over 4 million customers if they were as bad as some customers would have us believe there would be hundreds of posts per day posted over there, i am not saying they are perfect and customers don't have a tough time if things go wrong, their call centres can be frustrating places if you are having problems, the problem with forums is people are quick to complain but rarely visit to post how good a service they have had.

I'm assuming nothing. Merely sharing my experience.

Dutto said he now has slow upload speeds it was OK before, TT think it is the router and are sending a new one, it doesn't matter if it is the same router as the original worked fine before developing the fault.

More info in this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66928

Post by dutto from thread above

Just had a long natter with TalkTalk and after trying everything with my Router they have promised me a new one, because the one I have is apparently on a "Go Slow"!

The Download Speed is okay (which is why I can still watch stuff like American Football live) but the Upload Speed is so pathetic that if I try and send anything it takes for ages.

Not really noticed it before, but just flipping through Threads and Posts is okay, but when I respond to something (like this) I get the spinning rainbow. (Which, incidentally, I dislike a lot more than that spinning Egg-Timer that we used to have!)

Sorry to have bothered you. The new Router should arrive in the next few days so I will let you know when it's fitted.

Just an update.

Today I spent so long trying to talk to a human being at TalkTalk that the battery in the house phone went dead.

I re-charged it for ten minutes and this time phoned the "I'm thinking of leaving TalkTalk" number and it was answered one second after I had listened to the "We record every conversation." message.

I'm afraid that I wasn't very kind to the lady who answered the phone, especially when she told me that I hadn't phoned them before and I had just sat through the "We record every conversation." message.

To cut a long story short, I am assured that the new Router will be on it's way even though delivery may be interrupted by Christmas.

As my motto says "I live in hope." but not necessarily expectation! :oops: :oops:

Back