Sierra Nevada Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
Gonna clone this soon, just wondering about the hops. I don't see the point in buying 3 packets of imported hops for a single beer, so which would be the most important bittering hop for the style? I assume due to the extremely high AA% that magnum is used to get quick bitterness more than anything, so i'm inclined to think Perle would be best...

bittering hops Magnum & Perle
finishing hops Cascade

any advice anyone?

cheers.

This is my usual recipe and I think it is pretty close. Even if it’s not it’s a great drop!

Brewlength 25L
Estimated OG 1.056
Estimated IBU ~40
Estimated SRM ~9
66 Degree Mash - 90 Mins
Boil Time - 60 Mins

5.4kg Pale Malt Maris Otter Grain 91.5%
0.4kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 7.0%
25g Pearle (60 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
25g Magnum (60 min) Hops 25.6 IBU
30g Cascade (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
50g Cascade (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

The most important thing is Cascade. I did a clone version without Perle. Just Magnum and Cascade. It was very very close to the real thing.

+1 for cutnrun recipe but Perle is 30min addition, not 60min. Adjust that to 38 IBU and you have SNPA clone.

PS Water should be high on Ca and SO4

Cheers :cheers:

The recipe I have from an American site quoting their brewmaster has;

Magnum 60min 25.4 IBU
Perle 30min 7.3 IBU
Cascade 10min 4.3 IBU
Cascade 53g steep at flame out 20/30mins (for 23L brew length)

Over the last few days I've not stopped hearing or reading about Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and how good it is. I've never tried one, but I think I'm going to buy a couple of bottles for the weekend, and then if I like I'll use the recipe in the Clone Brews book I got for Christmas.

The Goatreich said:
Over the last few days I've not stopped hearing or reading about Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and how good it is. I've never tried one, but I think I'm going to buy a couple of bottles for the weekend, and then if I like I'll use the recipe in the Clone Brews book I got for Christmas.

I've tried one as POPS in Cheltenham sell a kit called foresters golden citrus blast which he based the kit on . Both bottle and kit are excellent.

Had my first taste of SN Torpedo last night. 7.2% IPA. Was amazing.

K

They had a seasonal rye IPA out a few months ago that was absolutely fantastic. I didn't realize it was seasonal or I would have stocked up on it. Can't find it anymore. :(

The Goatreich said:

I was really impressed. Wickid floral flavour, strength to match. Get one! Morrison's sell em.

Bought a couple, from Morrisons too. Absolutely spanking beer. Totally shocked at how nice Punk IPA is too! Maybe I'm coming round to these American style beers.

Back