help with malts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warnie

Reaction score
I have some crystal malt, some dark crystal malt and some wheat malt. Can anyone tell me what kind of tastes each of them offers? . I'm trying to put a recipe together.

thanks

crystal malt will give you color and sweetness...dark crystal more so
wheat will assist in helping with a beer head,,,too much and it can taste like breakfast cereals, but not as bad as torri wheat

Thanks guys, how do you think this would taste? I'm after a light session beer with a nice fruity taste. IBU is 51.5? with an OG of 1042 for 23ltrs

Crystal malt 440g
Marris otter 3738g
Wheat malt 220g

Start of 90 min boil
Goldings 15g
Challenger 35g

Last 10 mins
Goldings 10g
Fuggles 15g

Protofloc tablet last 15 mins

I don't want it too bitter and am just using up what I have. Is there anything you would add or take away? it's my 1st non recipe biab, so am just experimenting.

Looks good to me, though personally I'd lower the crystal to around 5%, but I'm not a fan of heavy crystal beers, my preference, up to 10% is ok which is what you have. For fruity character I think yeast choice would be where I'd look to more than ingredients, but if using what you have there's nothing to lose :thumb:

Vossy1 said:
Looks good to me, though personally I'd lower the crystal to around 5%, but I'm not a fan of heavy crystal beers, my preference, up to 10% is ok which is what you have. For fruity character I think yeast choice would be where I'd look to more than ingredients, but if using what you have there's nothing to lose :thumb:

Great, lowered it to 5%. I can always up it in later brews as I've never used it before.

Back