Blonde summer ale type recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't really need the carapils.

It would add to the flavour but as a first batch you would be left with 400g. For a first brew I'd keep it a simple SMASH. Hops can also be bought in pellet form but the benefit is they sell them in 20g packs, ideal for this size of brew.

Right I've got some basic info on the local brewery blonde that I liked.

A blend of Maris Otter pale & extra pale ale malt in the mash tun.
100% First Gold hops in the copper, for that distinctive citrus hop bite
Strength 4.3%

I'm waiting to see if I can find out the percentages of each of the grains and the amount of hops, and I should have asked what yeast as well have to wait till next time now

I wouldn't worry about the pale malt, any pale malt will be fine. Nice hops. Amounts can be estimated.

low colour maris otter extra light simpsons, would that maybe ok
http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Pale-Malt-Malted-Grain-Home-Brewing-Brew-Shop-UK.html

and could you give an estimate for the hops please clibit?

Any Maris Otter / pale malt is ok. Something like this:

Batch Size (L): 5.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Bitterness (IBU): 35.6

1.000 kg Maris Otter / Pale Malt (100%)

7.0 g First Gold Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (start of boil)
7.0 g First Gold Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (last 5 mins of boil)

35 IBUs is relatively bitter for a blonde ale, but it's not super bitter for a 1048/4.8% beer and you mentioned hop bite I think? You could drop the 60 minute addition to 5g if you want more typical blonde ale bitterness.

No mention of hop bite, so maybe I'll go with the lower amount.

I'll send a PM in case you miss this, But have you any first gold in your stash GlentoranMark?

I'm not sure what the 8.3% is ....is it alpha acid content? is this critical, it looks like seasonal variation to me?

I've found lower @ 7.4% and higher @ 9% ?

Where do folks purchase their grain and hops from?

I've looked at HBC and worcester hop shop and the-home-brew-shop.co.uk.

The AA% isn't critical within that range.

I get hops from HBC, the Maltmiller and sometimes Worcester hop shop.

yeah thinking about it that Bitterness (IBU): 35.6 is double what GM's wort app gave @ 15-18 so maybe best to reduce the 60 min hops to 5g

Which yeast would folks recommend for a blonde ale please...Safale S--4 or Safale US-05 or something else?

If you want a drier beer, US05 or Gervin.

A sweeter beer, S-33, Windsor or Muntons standard yeast.

Cheers chaps, I emailed HBC to see when they will restock and Shane replied not til January but said that I could also use mangrove jacks or bry 97 instead. .

But I'm chuffed as I went to my smallholding and dug out our party saucepans and one of the smaller ones is stainless steel and is about 15L capacity (I filled it to just over halfway with 8.4L water) Some of the bigger ali pans I have must be 30 - 40 - 50L.
I spent 20-30 mins scrubbing the outside as it was really black from campfire cooking at our gatherings.

grainpan.jpg

I've been trawling the home brew shops and I'm gonna have to leave ordering ingredients til after xmas now as none of them have the grain, hops and yeast that I want, either no hops in stock or no yeast, offered alternatives but want to stick with maris otter pale, first gold and us-05. No point in paying two lots of delivery charges if I can get them all from one place.

So that gives me more time to read up on AG and BIAB and to also find some (hopefully) free swing top bottles (are PET bottles ok?) and I'm gonna dig out my burco boilers and see what capacities they are.

People use PET bottles but they are air permeable so you can't keep beer in them for a long time.

I use glass bottles and caps.

I don't really like plastic bottles but I have enough for a 5L brew until I can find some glass bottles. I will be doing a few tours of our estate recycling bins over xmas and new year.

I don't really like plastic bottles but I have enough for a 5L brew until I can find some glass bottles. I will be doing a few tours of our estate recycling bins over xmas and new year.

Plastic bottles will be fine to get you started. Makes a lot of sense. Also, some are sturdier than others.

Plastic bottles will be fine to get you started. Makes a lot of sense. Also, some are sturdier than others.

The pepsi ones I have are ok with TC so I will use them if I cant find glass ones before I need to bottle, the annoying thing is my brother ran a pub which shut down last autumn and he asked me to clear it out, everything there was up for grabs, kegs, crates of empty swing tops, corny kegs, beer engines, taps, beer lines co2 bottles etc, some went to other local beer outlets, but most of the metal I weighed in as scrap and anything else that wouldn't burn went in the skip! The only thing I kept was a patio heater:doh:

Back