BIAB single hop Simcoe brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I start of with cold water in one bucket running off the heated water into the other. Once it has taken most of heat out just recirculate with ice in the one bucket to drop it down further.

That OG reading looks like 1052 to me. You were closer than you thought. There are 5 spaces between 1050 and 1060, each space represents .002. You could even argue it's close to 1053, cos the wort gets pulled up right next to the hydrometer by surface tension. But I'll settle for 1052. :-)

Anyone disagree?

Nice work. Simcoe is on my list of hops to try out (along with about a thousand others).

Spoke to rob @ malt miller today about ordering my pan, burner etc. very nice chap and very helpful.

Well given my first AG attempt I was pleased to see it bobbing around 1050 and not just sink to zero. Meaning I'd extracted some sugars. My insulating of the pot was a success wrapped up at 69 checked hour later was 68. So 1 degree loss. Anyone would think I knew what I was doing.

My/Mrs Bungles freezer shelves at now bursting with numerous hops. I'll have to name em and see what could be an idea for next one. Mrs says I need to make a Belgian style fruit one. Think that can wait myself.

View attachment 1336

OG 1051. Target was 1053. Which it was spot on into FV but had to top up with water to make up to 20l so happy with that.

View attachment 1337

Safale US-05 yeast in. Now just wait and see what happens. Trial test was very good. Super hoppy which I'm sure will only get better as time goes on. All in all seems first BIAB went alright. Happy Days.

Is that orange heating belt on a thermostat? I bought one of them thirty years ago and had a series of bad tasting brews which led me to give up brewing between about 1985 and 2015. I now believe that I was fermenting at far too high a temperature and creating off tastes. At the time, I thought I had acquired some horrible infection in the house which was contaminating the brews. Now I use a cheap fish tank heater and have the brew bin sitting in four inches of thermostatically controlled water inside a poly storage box. I have had no more off tastes since. I remember my heating belt would raise the temperature way up so the FV felt warm. I don't know how warm exactly, but I think it was too much.

Up to now my beers have all been tasting good. Used it in winter more so. I take a small sample out and stick a thermometer in during most days and check temp. If it's dropping a bit just stick it on for a few hours until it's warned it a little. Don't leave it on all time. And it's not connected to anything. Just plugged in that I turn on and off.

I usually move belt up and down the FV in winter too. This seems to control temp more too. It's only on this one as weather is still bit chilly overnight at min. So just check it on morning and maybe warm slightly and leave rest of day. I couldn't fit that FV in another bucket either where I have it. My mate drops his fish tank heater into the FV and that that works for him. Toyed with that idea. But at present what I'm doing seems to be working alright. Touch wood!!

I usually move belt up and down the FV in winter too. This seems to control temp more too. It's only on this one as weather is still bit chilly overnight at min. So just check it on morning and maybe warm slightly and leave rest of day. I couldn't fit that FV in another bucket either where I have it. My mate drops his fish tank heater into the FV and that that works for him. Toyed with that idea. But at present what I'm doing seems to be working alright. Touch wood!!

Great. You are obviously controlling the temperature yourself. When I used mine, I just left it on thinking 'heat is good...'. Big mistake. After emptying three brews down the drain, I chucked the gear and stopped doing it until this Christmas when one of my sons bought me a Moonshine Brew Bag Kit. It turned out very nice and reawakened the old demons.... :))

Shame is, I had to buy all the gear again, but it's been fun and the quality of beer has been way ahead of what I used to make when I was a young man.

Latest posts

Back